calling all H series gurus

BoyBlue

Reaction score
I have a few questions about the swap.

1. I can find alot of information about 5th gen swaps but nothing about 6th gen swaps. When I read a post asking about this swap into the 6th gen all I find is "it's not that much diffrent then a swap into a 5th gen" but nobody would say what is diffrent. What is diffrent about a 5th gen swap and 6th gen swap?

2. I know there is alot of diffrent DOHC VTEC engines out there. I'm confused about which ones are better then the other. Is there a list I can find with information about the H series and the DOHC VTEC F series and what cars thay are found in?

3. Is it really a diffrence in the engine or is it more a diffrence in the ECU that makes one H series better then the other?

4. Would it be better if I went to OBD1 or tried to get an OBD2 engine.

5. I live in MICH and there isn't alot if any JDM engine dealers around (in driving distance) so I am stuck with getting my engine off line. Could you let me know of any places on line with a good reputation?

I have a 2001 Accord with 5MT
I plan on doing an h series swap in about 2-3 years ( I gathering info and cash right now). I have a new born so that's why It's going to take me 2-3 years to gather the cash unless I win the lotto. Anyhow, thanks for any information you can give me.

P.S. I did use the search function but I found limited info, but I did find some answeres to other questions.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a few questions about the swap.

1. I can find alot of information about 5th gen swaps but nothing about 6th gen swaps. When I read a post asking about this swap into the 6th gen all I find is "it's not that much diffrent then a swap into a 5th gen" but nobody would say what is diffrent. What is diffrent about a 5th gen swap and 6th gen swap?

2. I know there is alot of diffrent DOHC VTEC engines out there. I'm confused about which ones are better then the other. Is there a list I can find with information about the H series and the DOHC VTEC F series and what cars thay are found in?

3. Is it really a diffrence in the engine or is it more a diffrence in the ECU that makes one H series better then the other?

4. Would it be better if I went to OBD1 or tried to get an OBD2 engine.

5. I live in MICH and there isn't alot if any JDM engine dealers around (in driving distance) so I am stuck with getting my engine off line. Could you let me know of any places on line with a good reputation?

I have a 2001 Accord with 5MT
I plan on doing an h series swap in about 2-3 years ( I gathering info and cash right now). I have a new born so that's why It's going to take me 2-3 years to gather the cash unless I win the lotto. Anyhow, thanks for any information you can give me.

P.S. I did use the search function but I found limited info, but I did find some answeres to other questions.

1) Driver's side mount

2) www.hondatech.com - F/H FAQ - Prelude section.

3) They're all pretty much the same

4) Thats up to you and your state emissions/inspections situation

5) Scroll down a few threads in this section at the thread I made

Bucket_cg6

Reaction score
i am actually doing an h swap on mine. i decided to go with the h22 over the f20b (if thats what you ment) because of the torqe diff. the DOCH F20B has high revs. an obd 1 is very common to swap. hardley anyone does a obd2 because you will need to flash the key immobilizer. i am sticking w/ the obd2 because i like to have everything legit. I HATE NOSEY COPS. so after my ride is running im going to the state reff and getting a bar number. Im still learning a whole lot about the swap but hit me up if u have more questions, ill tell u anything i know. good luck.

Drift

Reaction score
Ive been running an h22 in my 6th gen for almost 3 years now. Id link you to my build thread, but its on another forum and I dont want to step on any toes.

Besides the drivers side mount, the block is identical and basically drops right in. The tricky part is the wiring. If you want to run power steering, you either need to modify the feedline, of replace it completely. Also, if you plan on running the h22 transmission, I had to modify the slave cylinder slightly to fit the f23 hydraulic line. And i highly recommend getting the LSD tranny, it was the best handling improvement Ive made to the car. There are a couple things that need to be taken care of depending on your year accord, such as the coolant temp sender.

You can run an OBDII ecu, but it has to be the 1996 p13-a12 ecu. (I have one for sale if you're interested). Its the only ecu thats OBDII and doesnt have an immobilizer. I was running it off the OBDI dizzy, but got some misfire codes at certain rpms on the highway. I think that if you were to replace the oil pump with the OBDII part number, got the CKP/TDC sensor, and an OBDII dizzy, the car would pass inspection given that you had all the other emissions devices hooked up.

I've bought a few motors from Hmotorsonline.com and they have always worked great and are fairly priced. I recommend not using Osaka motors, that guy it super shady and we've had some bad experiences with him at the shop. (he threatened the owners of the shop's life when he called to complain about a junk motor. He then kept whispering :"I **** your mother." Over and over again. very strange.)

Ive been through it all. Let me know if you have any questions.

BoyBlue

Reaction score
car stats:
01 Accord 5MT
ULEV
Don't know if this helps with the questions.

I have looked and looked and I'm thinking of going for the H23 vtec. I like the numbers and the threads I read about the engine says it pulls harder then the H22 at lower RPM's. I don't plan on doing any other power mods to the car besides I/H/E. I plan on going with the f23 trany that I have.

I do have a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to though.

1. I read in a thread on another site thet the H23's crank pully is made for only one belt so he wasn't able to run Power stering. Is this true?

2. I would like to stay obd2 but the swaps that I have read about the people swithced to obd1. Is there alot of propblems with this engine in obd2?

3. Another thing I see with this engine swap is alot of people using the h22 I/M and T/B. What is the reason for this and is it manditory?

4. Would the 1996 p13-a12 ecu work with the H23 vtec withought any problems?

Thanks for any help.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The cars it came in had eletric assisted steering I believe. All you'd have to do is swap the crank pulley out for one from an H22, done. It's a 98 and up motor, it's OBD2 from the factory. That ECU should be able to run it just fine if you wish to stay OBD2. People switch to OBD1 b/c they want to or can. They probably switch manifolds b/c they want to, not b/c they have to.

Drift - You can link your thread here. Others have, we dont care. The only person that's ever had an issue with that is what's his face that runs E-H.

BoyBlue

Reaction score
Thanks again for the help.
You can run an OBDII ecu, but it has to be the 1996 p13-a12 ecu. (I have one for sale if you're interested).

Thanks for the offer but I'm still in the stage of gathering information. I have other thing in the works for my car right now. I plan on going forward with this in a year or so (I like to give my self alot of time to gather information before I spend any money on somthing).

ray01

Reaction score
swapping an obd-1 is a lot easier mainly on wiring and more options to tune in the future

just a heads up if you do go obd-1, not sure if obd-2 will give you the same issues

1. 00-02 accords have a different temp sensor (circuit) from the h series, so in your case, you will need a ect adaptor module to get your temp guage to work on your cluster.
afaccord has explained it better
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16856&highlight=diy+obd1

2. you will lose cruise control if you use the h22 throttle body, but i think theres a way to keep the cruise by using the accord throttle body

3. most ppl dont hook up the egr, so using the stock p13 ecu will throw a cel while cruising. most ppl usually get a chipped p28 or similar ecu to get rid of the cel

thats all i can think of at this time

oh and i would suggest you to use the h22 tranny as it makes a huge difference since it has shorter gears

Back