Changing Salvage Title to Clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
The whole reason a "salvage title" exists is the fact that a previously totalled car has been rebuilt, thus "salvaged". That is the whole basis for the title, it doesn't matter if you rebuilt it to a standard of a similar used car, even replaced every single thing to where it is like new. You could even build it past the standards of oem. It was still a vechical that was salvaged from a total loss. It isn't describing the current condition of your car, it is describing (and validating) the process your car went through to become legal again. .

Very well said.....

Jsut because a vehicle is salvaged, does NOT necessarily mean it's crapped on and it's a piece of junk.
in order to get a salvaged vehicle registered (to be driven on public roads) means that person has to do extensive repairs and hold onto receipts of the repairs done and provide them to a specific DMV for a special overall & detailed inspection of the vehicle.
Only after the vehicle has passed that inspection will it receive a salvage title and be allowed to be driven on a public road

Here's teh form and proceedure that person must go through.

clicky

clicky II

This is taken from the NJ website

Avehicle might be declared salvage when an owner or insurer determines that it will cost more to fix it after a collision than the vehicle is worth. A salvage title will be issued by the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, after which the vehicle can't be registered.

If you repair a salvage vehicle and want to put it back on the road, the state will first conduct a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection to make sure none of the component parts (or the car itself) were stolen.

Repairing and retitling a salvage vehicle can be difficult, with a lot of paperwork involved, so be sure to keep all documents showing where you bought the parts you used to resuscitate the vehicle. Also take "before" photos as soon as you come into possession of the vehicle; you'll need them later when you have the repaired car inspected.

How to Bring a Vehicle Out of Salvage
After a salvage title is issued, four photographs of the salvaged vehicle should be taken. To be acceptable, they must include:

Two photos of the entire front and left side of the vehicle (one before and one after repairs). Two photos of the entire rear and right side of the vehicle (one before and one after repairs).If repairs were begun before any pictures could be taken, a damage report from your insurance company may be substituted for the two "before" photos.
You will also need a bill of sale for every major component part used in the reconstruction, rebuilding, or repair of the salvaged vehicle. The bill of sale should include the name and address of the buyer, the name and address of the seller, and the date and purchase price of each part. Include a description and the part number on the bill of sale if new parts were used.

In the case of used parts, you must provide:

A description of the part. The vehicle identification number (VIN) of the motor vehicle that contained the part or a statement from you indicating why it is not available; the make; and the model and year. The date the part was removed or dismantled (if available).The name and address of the person or business that dismantled or removed the part. To apply for an appointment for the VIN inspection, you should complete a Salvage Inspection Application. Return three copies as indicated with a check or money order payable to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) for $200 (cars and trucks) or $100 (motorcycles).

Phone one of the salvage inspection sites indicated on your application to arrange for an appointment, and then fax your New Jersey Salvage Title for your vehicle and your salvage appointment application to that location.

Note that failure to keep your scheduled appointment, or failure to arrive on time, will result in the forfeiture of your inspection fee. To avoid this, you should request a new appointment at least five working days before your original appointment date if you need to reschedule.

When you go to the inspection, you must bring:

The salvage title issued to you.Your copy of the application.The bill of sale for each major component part you have replaced.The required photographs and work order.

cecoen

Reaction score
Title washing, or the act of fraudulently altering a title, is ILLEGAL in EVERY state, EVERY time. Now then, some states still do not issue rebuilt titles. Alabama used to be one of them but I think they have changes that. NC still does not issue rebuilt titles so you can register a salvage vehicle there, have it inspected, and get a clean title. But in all other states you can have a repaired salvage vehicle inspected and get a rebuilt title that can be transferred sold or tagged or whatever just like a normal title. But in some states you have to be a licensed rebuilder or reseller to do the work, have the inspections, and register it. I am currently driving a stolen and recovered expedition that was a hollow empty shell when I bought it. Here in GA you have to be licensed by the state to rebuild them but somehow I slipped through the cracks. I just bought a wrecked same year truck and removed the interior that I needed and had the receipts and inspections done and I now have a rebuilt GA title. IT IS A ROYAL PAIN IN THE AR$E. The inspection took almost 6 months before they would even come look at it. Stolen cars aren't terrible but try and avoid wrecked ones. There are very few that are salvaged with little damage. Most are salvaged for a reason and you don't want that head ache!

Chad

MrLazie1

Reaction score
i got the answer to your question jack, once its salvage there is no turning back. cause most of the time its beyond repair and sometimes the insurance just dont want to pay for it.

Werkmeister47

Reaction score
ahh thanks for all the insight, i thought so too, but i guess my friend was twisting logic, now i know for sure thanks all

gt58

Reaction score
i rear ended someone on the freeway and my whole front end was smashed in pretty good. i limped to the side of the road and the dude was super sketchy. 6 foot 4ish in a Chrysler 300 with limo tint. he said he wasnt supposto be there or something and hopped back in his car and took off. went to a shop and had it rebuilt for 2k and as far as i know the insurance knows nothing so its still technically a clean title vehicle.

edit: did not see that he bumped it from 09 lol sry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back