Ground Control coilover sleeves - discussion

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Okay, I’ve been talking with Mikey and 20-CG5-01 about this. I am currently riding on Koni Yellows & Eibach Sportlines. I love everything about this setup & have no complaints, except:
1) I want more flexibility to finetune my ride height.
2) It would be nice to be able to do the above without having to take the suspension off the car

I do not want coilovers. So to achieve the above, coilover sleeves are the logical upgrade, at least for me. And it seems like everyone who has the Yellow/GC setup, loves it. So I am confident with GC’s reliability and performance.

What I am not confident in, is what the difference is in ride quality between what I have now, & what GC’s will deliver. Like I said, I love how the car rides/handles (the Yellows dampening is turned up 1.5 turns), & I know Sportlines are progressive springs. I also know GC springs are linear, & provide a firmer ride. But how much firmer? This question has gotten me thinking about ordering custom spring rates for the GC’s that would get me somewhere near Sportlines (which may not even be possible?), but I don’t know enough about that... I don’t want to mess anything up then end up with a spring rate setup that rides like crap.

I feel most bumps in the road as it is now, which I am okay with. But I just do not want to go too much firmer...

So who has ordered custom spring rates, & who has just ordered defaults? If I soften up my Yellows, will that make up for the firmer rate of the default GC spring and provide only a slightly firmer ride than Sportlines? Trying to wrap my head around what seems to be a lot of variables here.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Yep, two reasons.

1. I already have invested time and money in these Yellows, I’d like to make them work for me instead of buying a whole new setup.

2. The two reasons I'm upgrading can be achieved by changing out just the spring instead of the whole assembly.

2.5 Seems like Teins are the only coilovers that may even ride remotely soft enough. I've been in many different cars that had various sets of coilovers, and just never liked how harsh the ride is. And being the old bastard I am, my chronic lower back soreness isn't getting any better. :lawl:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I've been in this same boat for awhile as well, Chris.

I know Bill(BlackDeath) got custom springs for his GC's. Just a matter of getting in touch with him somehow.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
I'm wondering if fully adjustable coils were set to nearly the softest setting it would turn out the same.

Mikey

Reaction score
Drew(NGP_UA5) is putting Teins on his TL. Before, on his CB, he had the Cup Kit(Koni Yellows/Neuspeed). Not sure if he's switching due to price/find or if he's heard things about Tein.

I too am curious if there is a coilover that can be placed on the softest setting and it ride similar to a Koni/Eibach/GC setup.

Mikey

Reaction score
The reason why Im not looking at coilovers is that I dont want a slammed ride. I dont need to be tucking my 16s. I dont mind a 1 finger gap on the 16s and a 0-1 finger gap on the 17s. Im not an auto-Xer and I rarely see spirited corners. I just want something a lower than stock. I figure something in the 2-2.5" range would be ideal.

HOWEVER, I dont want the ride to be stiff and bouncy. Im trying to retain some of my sophistication, lol.

truWarier02

Reaction score
I would get custom rates for GC's. I don't see that option on the website but I think you just have to call them. I wish I had Koni + GC's. But I guess my Type1's will do..

Back