CBO's 99 Accord EX sedan thread

TedMicer

Reaction score
you got a clean start no rot...just keep it clean n simple n find which route you going (TRACK, FLUSH, STANCE, JDM, UKDM, ETC)

CBO

Reaction score
Well the paint on my hood is fading slightly so it's time to learn how to wrap. Just bought a 4'x5' piece.

Screenshot_20170227-190447_zpscpz0oefj.jpg

There is a small dent/scratch I'll be filling in as well so it will look perfect when wrapped. I also stripped the paint off of the wheels.

20170222_182404_zpsfzjxsjjg.jpg

The paint was hiding some serious curb rash unfortunately so I'll have to do some sanding. I'll probably paint them again but just a glossy silver color this time. I ordered new rear struts those are on the way. I just bought monroe's from rock auto. They're nitrogen charged and got a full set for $120 shipped. I spend most of my money on my 4runner rock crawler not the honda. But it feels good to show my DD a little love.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Just a shock change alone will make a car feel much more connected to the road, keep up the progress and you will have one very rewarding car.

CBO

Reaction score
Just a shock change alone will make a car feel much more connected to the road, keep up the progress and you will have one very rewarding car.

Yeah the suspension rattles really loud over bumps it is super annoying! The rear is worst so I'm starting there. Front probably needs it too. I'm definitely getting a little excited to make some more improvements. :)

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
While you are in there changing the shocks I am sure you are aware, but it is a good time to check all the bushings / inner outer tie rods / ball joints / CV joints.

It's just typical things to look for on these cars that I see go bad when they have seen some road time, I upgraded my own and wife's car to the serviceable gusher bearing style tie rod ends and ball joints for the fact that when you separate them for future work on other parts, you end up kind of having to mash all the grease out with the tools to get the joints apart. So this gives you a way of getting the grease back into the joint and extending it's life by flushing it with grease at service intervals.

I Enjoy doing that a lot more then pulling a knuckle/hub assembly apart every time to hammer, then press it in and add a new snap ring and reassemble.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
While you are in there changing the shocks I am sure you are aware, but it is a good time to check all the bushings / inner outer tie rods / ball joints / CV joints.

It's just typical things to look for on these cars that I see go bad when they have seen some road time, I upgraded my own and wife's car to the serviceable gusher bearing style tie rod ends and ball joints for the fact that when you separate them for future work on other parts, you end up kind of having to mash all the grease out with the tools to get the joints apart. So this gives you a way of getting the grease back into the joint and extending it's life by flushing it with grease at service intervals.

I Enjoy doing that a lot more then pulling a knuckle/hub assembly apart every time to hammer, then press it in and add a new snap ring and reassemble.

I'd also look at the sway bar end links, and the rubber bushings that hold the sway bar to the sub-frames (front and rear). I only mention them, as my wife's 2000 Sedan needed them (end links) replaced after we had that "polar vortex" roll thru here a year ago. The nylon separated from the steel cups, and rattled like crazy over the bumps, pot holes, and rail road tracks that surround us. I used Moog life saver (? the more costly ones) parts from Rock Auto, as I could buy 2 bushings from them for the cost of 1 durazone bushing. I've got a set here waiting for my 99 Accord too, as I saw 1 of them had separated too.
I like what you've been doing with your ride though.

CBO

Reaction score
Ok, so I got beef with the "DIY master list" post on this site.
This one...:

1488427634_Screenshot_20170301-220437-picsay_zpszxsqruge.jpg

The write up for strut replacement is garbage. It left out several key steps and information needed to do the job. My experience tonight was terrible as a result. And I'm no stranger to wrenching, I built a rock crawler (my 1st love) and I have to say I enjoy working on that 1000x more than this honda. I will be doing my own write up for the rear strut replacement. Mods can decide to add it to the master list. But God be praised I installed one strut. LOL.

IMG_20170301_205413_879_zpsulhr1cmg.jpg

Last edited:

CBO

Reaction score
The gloss carbon fiber wrap showed up.

1489012212_20170308_162713-picsay_zpsrpxnmcft.jpg

It looks like a high quality wrap. I'm excited to put it on. :) the rear struts I put on make a huge difference. Nice ride. I definitely reccomend the Monroe's as a stock replacement. Now that the rears are done I realize how bad the fronts are too. Someday I'll hafta do those.

Accordx

Reaction score
The gloss carbon fiber wrap showed up.

1489012212_20170308_162713-picsay_zpsrpxnmcft.jpg

It looks like a high quality wrap. I'm excited to put it on. :) the rear struts I put on make a huge difference. Nice ride. I definitely reccomend the Monroe's as a stock replacement. Now that the rears are done I realize how bad the fronts are too. Someday I'll hafta do those.

Haha I just replaced my fronts with Monroes and you can definitely feel the difference. I'm looking to get a pair for the back sometime soon as well. I like the carbon fiber theme you got going on too.

Back