Help using polarized film

I4 CG5

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to use polarized film for our clocks and/or odometers? I've tried searching but haven't come up with anything. Any help is greatly appreciated

I4 CG5

Reaction score
Thanks, I was searching for polarized film, not polarizing film. Noob mistake :D

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
you mean, like this?

clockpf.jpg

odometerpf.jpg

greenlitoemgauges.jpg

:D

yea, i did it. the clocks easy as hell. but the odometer is where its hard. its really easy to crack the glass on the odometer, and if you do, its worthless. and whats hard about the odometer is that you cant take that glass piece that has the "clear" layer of polarizing film out. you have to scrape that layer off with it still on the circuit board, and to make it worse, theirs a little elevated edge around the odometer screen. then you need to clean off the stickyness from the glass and then reapply a new layer of polarizing film, turn 90* from the one you took off so that it looks black, and not "clear" like the one you took off.

I4 CG5

Reaction score
That's exactly what I want to do. I may be just doing the clock now because I don't want to risk messing up my odometer. I'm going to steal my own thread now...but if I do end up breaking my clock and need to buy another gauge cluster, will my mileage change, or is it stored in the ECU or someplace else?

PROJECT H

Reaction score
hmm if you use polorized film... you cant see your clock or odometer during the daytime right? i have the film i bought a long time ago but never got around to installing them. haha

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
That's exactly what I want to do. I may be just doing the clock now because I don't want to risk messing up my odometer. I'm going to steal my own thread now...but if I do end up breaking my clock and need to buy another gauge cluster, will my mileage change, or is it stored in the ECU or someplace else?

if you brake the clock, you wont hurt anything EXCEPT the clock, which youd need to replace. if you broke the odometer, yes youd need to buy a whole new cluster, and the mileage wouldnt be correct anymore.

as for not seeing it during the day.......i never had any trouble.

Back