New Down Pipe

akoutmos

Reaction score
So i went home for the weekend to visit the family and do some accord maintenance and took some pics of the downpipe completely done so you guys can see it without the tape and how i put in the divider for the wastegate and the turbine. Just a note, all the little rust spots are from the splatter from the MIG welder. The TIG welds are in perfect shape. Thats why if ur doin welding make sure you're using a TIG welder.

S7000285.JPG

S7000286.JPG

S7000287.JPG

S7000288.JPG

mraw112

Reaction score
TIGs are for people with money. if you dont want rust use a flux-cored and keep the slag. jk
Did you weld that your self? I have a flux cored right now and it can be converted to mig. i just need a canister for the gas. Do MIG welds come out better than Flux cored. Ive gotten decent at flux cored, but sometimes it can get ugly. Would it be worth the money to invest in a tank and gas?

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
damn looks good..cant wait till i start my 3" DP and full straight exhaust.

just cover it up with heat wrap and you wont see the welds..or heat coat it to somewhat hide the welds from the MIG.
I use flux also,seemed to work fine even held my heavy doors up when I had Lambo doors.

akoutmos

Reaction score
TIGs are for people with money. if you dont want rust use a flux-cored and keep the slag. jk
Did you weld that your self? I have a flux cored right now and it can be converted to mig. i just need a canister for the gas. Do MIG welds come out better than Flux cored. Ive gotten decent at flux cored, but sometimes it can get ugly. Would it be worth the money to invest in a tank and gas?

Seeing as TIG welders are for people with money, i MIG welded it together with 3-4 tacks per join. Then my friends dad who is a professional welder, TIG welded it. So if you guys need custom parts, he can def make some good stuff u.

damn looks good..cant wait till i start my 3" DP and full straight exhaust.

just cover it up with heat wrap and you wont see the welds..or heat coat it to somewhat hide the welds from the MIG.
I use flux also,seemed to work fine even held my heavy doors up when I had Lambo doors.

From what i have read about welding, flux will hold up fine as long as its not subject to extreme conditions. Seeing as this bolts right up to the turbo it is subject to a lot of heat. And the TIG welds are much stronger as the welders weld at a higher temperature and penetrate the metal better than MIGs. All in all its going to last longer if its TIGed. But i would prob use my MIG anywhere else on the car.

Last edited:

mraw112

Reaction score
Does slower wire speed give you better penetration? I would think so, because it gives everything more time to heat up. When i made a manifold it was my first time welding <=not a smart move, but it worked. the biggest problem i had is sometimes my welds would be nice and penetrate good, but sometimes it just had the weld only holding the pipes to the flange.

akoutmos

Reaction score
Wire-speed just controls how much filler metal goes into the weld. Its how much amperage goes into the arc and at what voltage that controls penetration. Here is a good read:

Weld penetration is the distance that the fusion line extends below the surface of the material being welded.Welding current is of primary importance to penetration. As Figure 7-7 illustrates, weld penetration is directlyrelated to welding current. An increase or decrease in the current will increase or decrease the weldpenetration respectively.However, we have seen that welding current can be varied without changing the wire feed speed; namely,through the variation of the tip-to-work distance. The effect of tip-to-work distance on weld penetration isopposite in nature to that of welding current. An increase in the tip-to-work distance will decrease weldingcurrent and penetration. Of course, the converse is also true. In some applications, many operators havefound it helpful to use this property to control penetration. Changing the tip-to-work distance while weldingprevents burnthrough when there are discontinuities in material thicknesses or joint gap.
From: http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/MIG_handbook/592mig7_7.htm

Last edited:

DXaccorD

Reaction score
Hey akout, where in rochester are you? im going to st john fisher college right in rochester....

also great work you have going here... keep it up

Back