98 LX super bumpy ride

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 98 LX sedan 4cyl.

I recently did all 4 struts (quickstrut), complete front end suspension, sway links in back and front motor mount.

I am experiencing an extremely bumpy ride when going over bumps in the road. I feel the whole car rattling/shaking inside the cabin. It feels like its the dash that shakes.

I tried researching the topic and I couldn't find much I did find an article that said that our cars are prone to the motor mounts going on them and when the motor mounts go you feel a bumpy ride.

I forgot where I saw that but I saw it somewhere. Anyway that's my question to you guys do you think that replacing the motor mounts will fix this vibration issue I'm having.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Quickstruts are made by Monroe so I'd be surprised if they were the culprit. Did those come with top hats or did you reuse your OEM's? And you said you did complete front end suspension, what does that mean exactly?

Do you feel a vibration at idle or when the car shifts? Mounts could be part of it but you wouldn't only hear/feel the vibration when going over bumps.

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Yeah they came pre assembled. I did tie rods, control arms, lbj, sway links. I mentioned that i did the front end in case someone would advise me to replace parts. I am doing a lot of upkeep on the car. It has 110k. The original owner anything done because she drove like an old lady. My driving style is one notch up from an old lady so the parts are all going at once.

The car does vibrate at idle but shifts smooth (AT).

I dont know what else it could be? Do you really think mounts would cause the cabin to rattle and shake over bumps?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Ok I ask because I went to Monroe's website and didn't see a rubber hat at the top of the Quickstrut assembly.

And no, like I said if the mounts were busted you would be feeling/hearing rattles/vibration all the time (mostly at idle), not just on bumps. How bad is the rattle/vibration at idle?

Wouldn't hurt to inspect your side mount. The rear is hard to assess, but if your front was bad there's a chance your side/rear are as well. But it sounds like there is more going on here...are you sure everything was installed correctly?

Last edited:

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
The left mount or the trans right mount?

I never replaced the LCA/ LCA bushings. They look fine to the eye but do you think they might be the culprit?

Statistically, which is more likely to go 'bad'?

The LCA bushings or the motor mounts and cause a bumpy ride/vibrations/dash-rattle, etc?

Many thanks :goofy_batman:

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Are u 4 cyl or v6? Did u buy v6 and put on ur 4cyl and vice versa.

I have a 4cyl. No, I bought 4cyl parts. Would that really make a difference if I bought v6 parts?

Im really not sure what the problem could be...

Back