Any Bikers??

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
I don't ever check my suspension. I set it up a month ago and it's been golden since. I checked my old Reba every few weeks though cause the seals were bad. As long as you're not leakin, I wouldn't worry too much.

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
I think I have fallen in love with riding my road bike. I still miss mountain biking, but I am addicted to riding my roadie this summer, even with the incredibly awful heat.

frantz954

Reaction score
anyone have any opinions on giant mtn bikes? ive been on a budget lately, but desperately needed to get away from my old gt timberline frame. its old, heavy, and just tired of it. i picked up a boulder se aluminum frame in good shape for $20. transfered all my parts and switched to a 7 spd set up knocking off 14 gears. shaved about six pounds off the original weight of the gt. just finished reassembling the giant. cleaned, lubed, and fully tuned up. seems pretty tight and smooth. im happy with it for now. still want to switch up a few other components, but itll have to wait a couple weeks.

NASOHC

Reaction score
anyone have any opinions on giant mtn bikes? ive been on a budget lately, but desperately needed to get away from my old gt timberline frame. its old, heavy, and just tired of it. i picked up a boulder se aluminum frame in good shape for $20. transfered all my parts and switched to a 7 spd set up knocking off 14 gears. shaved about six pounds off the original weight of the gt. just finished reassembling the giant. cleaned, lubed, and fully tuned up. seems pretty tight and smooth. im happy with it for now. still want to switch up a few other components, but itll have to wait a couple weeks.

Sounds like a nice upgrade for little investment. I've owned Giant bikes (Rainier, NRS, VT, Reign, Trance models) and couldn't say a bad thing about them. For the money, great quality, durability and performance. If you're sticking to hardtail, look for an older XTC type frame. Boulders are on the heavier side for hardtails IMO.

NASOHC

Reaction score
On another note:

Anyone try out a new 650b Mountain Bike yet? I'm kinda tempted on one of these. I have a Specialized Enduro pro and recently sold a GT 29er and I must say, having a bike in the "between" area would be sweet. I love my Enduro as it allows me to manuever nnicely through tight single track (not as good on a 29er) but the 29er rolled easily over stuff and came in really handy going uphill... I found the 29er a better pedaling bike and 26 Enduro more agile. I thought of trying out a set of 650b rim/tire combo but don't hink my Enduro has enough room on the rear triangle to run. My Fox 36 up front is not an issue so guess I'll confirm via my local Bike Shop sometime soon.

Any thoughts?

frantz954

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice upgrade for little investment. I've owned Giant bikes (Rainier, NRS, VT, Reign, Trance models) and couldn't say a bad thing about them. For the money, great quality, durability and performance. If you're sticking to hardtail, look for an older XTC type frame. Boulders are on the heavier side for hardtails IMO.

my plan was to buy a 2009 xtc frame, found some decent deals online, but this boulder came up used, at 80% less money. its actually pretty light i think, its an se which is aluminum, only weighs about 3.5 pounds. they make a steel version too which is probably a tank like my gt was. i figured i could get this for this year, upgrade all my components with the cash i save from not buying new, then next spring buy a new frame. i think getting back into this is going to be another addiction lol. looking into some carbon parts now...

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
650b isnt a new wheel size, it is just getting a lot of publicity recently because of Fuji's world cup team taking some big XC wins. A lot of manufacturers are trying to amp it up because they missed out on the 29'er boom.

frantz954

Reaction score
can anyone help me with this???

so i built up my new frame, but used most of my components from the last one. cranks included. long story short, my bb and front rings are shot so im looking at new cranksets. thing is, i have threaded cups for my bb now, but may have to switch to a bb30 press in. i can remove the threaded cups that i have now right? to press in the bb30?

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
No, you cannot, the press fit bottom brackets require special cups in the frame that hold the bearings in place. Is your bottom bracket a square taper bottom bracket or a bottom bracket with outboard bearings? If it is a square taper, look to upgrade to either octalink or a Shimano/Sram outboard bearing system. It will boost your crank stiffness.

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
Ciara-Horne.jpg

From the Olympics.... Oh the things I would do.

Back