Detailing Master Thread

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, when you say hand marks or finger marks does it mean you swiped your finger against the paint when it was really dirty/dusty?

I was wondering exactly what did your buddy use to buff out the marks on the paint? Was it by hand or by using a machine? If you claim your friend buffed your paint, why do you need to go over it again?

For beginners I would just wash it, claybar it, then wax it. I wouldn't even recommend hand polishing the entire car unless your goal is to only spot correction certain problem areas that you cannot live with.

Most of the stuff that gets on the paint "can be corrected to a certain extent". It is not the product that produces the crisp and clear high level of gloss and depth, it's the prep work that's done before it.

Last edited:

all.i.see

Reaction score
First of all, when you say hand marks or finger marks does it mean you swiped your finger against the paint when it was really dirty/dusty?

Yes. Theres several spots around the car that are from that and aren't small either.

I was wondering exactly what did your buddy use to buff out the marks on the paint? Was it by hand or by using a machine? If you claim your friend buffed your paint, why do you need to go over it again?

Someone hit me when they were parking and left paint on my car no damage tho. also when I was pulling out of my garage one day I turned too sharply before I was out all the way and Fcked up my right rear fender by my tire and left marks that wouldn't come out from just washing it. So he took a machine buffer too it and took off all the marks. His dad details cars for dealerships or used to. And that was just for a few marks not for the whole car. These dirt marks have happened sense then. Also my cars white which I forgot to add and all marks even when washed are noticeable.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. Theres several spots around the car that are from that and aren't small either.

He did not take out linear swipe marks left from your finger swipe?

Someone hit me when they were parking and left paint on my car no damage tho.

Basically you have paint transfer damage? Do the scratches have color or regular looking scratch marks?

also when I was pulling out of my garage one day I turned too sharply before I was out all the way and Fcked up my right rear fender by my tire and left marks that wouldn't come out from just washing it.

Most likely scratches here, but would need a picture to provide you better assistance.

So he took a machine buffer too it and took off all the marks.

When you say all the marks did you meant the marks from your accident? What about the finger swipe marks? Are you asking how to remove the swipe marks only or are you asking how to remove scratches,swirls, random deep isolated scratches, etching in general for the whole car?

Last edited:

all.i.see

Reaction score
Just asking how to get the finger marks out. Pretty much seeing if I need to machine buff them out like he did using the buffing as an example.

He buffed it months ago. Finger marks are different and are recent. This all has nothing to do with what he did to get the marks out. I said that basically asking if thats what I need to do again to get the deep dirt scratch marks left from when I rubbed against my car when it was filthy dirty.

If need be Ill post a picture or two up of the marks if any of this is confusing.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I understand what you are saying now. Part of a detailer's job is to try to understand the client as well as possible, and to clear up any confusion with what they are really trying to express. Now that I understand you clearly and knowing what your true intentions are, I can try my best to resolve your problems.

Part of detailing is to try to preserve as much of the original clear coat as possible, meaning always start with the least aggressive approach. I also don't like to waste my time and people's time with experimenting so I try my best to give an unbiased approach to solve solutions that I know will work based on my personal experience.

Now without seeing any pics I can only recommend you these two products. You can get both of these from O' Reily's, Pep boys, or whatever auto part store you have in your area. First one would be a polish called Scratch X. I have used it on under the door handle area and it is effective in taking out most of the scratches caused by your fingernails. If you don't want to waste time, and money then I would go straight to the next approach, a compound. Meguiars Ultimate Compound with some elbow grease will take care of it if your fingernail "cannot" catch the scratch.

all.i.see

Reaction score
Ok awsome. Thanks a lot for the help. Ill give the compound a try first cause there not really scratches like under the door handles more like left over dirt that wont come out. But very helpful all the same! If for some reason that doesnt work then ill be back! Again thanks, very helpful.

GravitySucks

Reaction score
so, i'm interested in learning more about detailing the car. I know the basic like claybar and wax, but when it comes to polish, buffer and so on, i'm lost haha. I know some of the guys on here do bodywork and detailing for a living, so it'll be great to get some input on this from them. Here's the format that i'm thinking of:

1. Scenario: Swirl removal (for example)

2.Tools/ Machines Required (include where these items can be purchased at):

3. Recommended wax/ compound/ polish (include where these items can be purchased at):

4. Prep work:

5. Step-by-step procedure:

Figured I do this for a living, so I'd pitch in my .02 ...

1. Scenario - scratch removal

2. Tools/Machines requires - Depending on the depth of the scratch;

Always wash the vehicle and clar bar the area you are about to work on to remove tar, sap, etc, even if it isn't apparently visible. These things will add to the cause of swirl marks when polishing the paint.

A lighter scratch, one that only penetrates into the clear coat, generally can be "removed" or taken to the point that it can't be seen unless up close or when lighting hits it just right. We use a DeWalt Polisher for most of our work. Previously(and as a backup) we used the Makita polisher. On these scratches, you're not actually removing the scratch, but actually smoothing out the clear coat so that it comes to a more or less smooth finish. We use a wool pad for deeper scratches, however as said before, try the least abrasive method possible first as you will be removing the clear coat doing this. A wool pad will leave a haze and likely swirl marks no matter the color of the car. You'll want to refinish the area with a foam pad.

If the scratch is really deep into the clear, or possibly into the actual paint, you may want to try wetsanding the area before buffing the area. Using 2k-3k grit sandpaper, douse the area with water(a hose, spray bottle, or supersoaker should suffice :D). Then take the sand paper and sand the area down. 3M sells sanding blocks, I would highly recommend using one if you've never done this before. Be VERY careful doing this as if you sand too much, you will sand straight through the clear coat and burn the factory paint underneath. Afterward, buff the area with an electric polisher.

For scratches that can not be removed with a polisher, use touch up paint. You can use an off the shelf paint from an auto store if you can find a good match. Otherwise, look around your area for a shop that will mix a small batch of paint for you. Make sure the paint is shaken up very well before applying it as they consist of many hues and quite a few of our paints have a flake in them. For thin scratches, we use a painting pen It will allow you to put the least amount of paint over the scratch as possible. Now, with a good color match, you can easily completely hide the scratch. After the touch up paint is applied, take a razor blade with the blade at a 90 degree angle to the paint and drag it across the touch up paint til it is mostly smooth with the clear coat. Now, follow the steps for wet sanding(very lightly) and then polishing. I've taken scratches several feet long and made them virtually impossible to see doing this. :)

David

Reaction score
Well I have a great tip for leather interior, guys my grandpa told me this. Never park your car at that place where the direct sun light hit that because sunlight destroy the leather and when you are our of car then open the window glass a little to get some air in that..and when you buy some product for cleaning your leather be careful to choose that.

Poko

Reaction score
Hi all. Newbie here with a 98 Accord EX. Original owner. All stock with original 260 + K MILES.

Poko

Reaction score
a2ude5eg.jpg

Back