Intermittent hard shift, 1-2 - 2002 I4 Accord..

javiert99

Reaction score
Are you referring to the Throttle Position Sensor? You said that in my thread about this the other day. How could that possibly affect the function of the transmission? Sorry for the threadjack, but it is relevant info.

In an F-body, (Camaro/Firebird), the TPS % is calculated into the car's downshifts.. it may have something to do with when these upshift as well based on speed and TPS throttle %.

toast

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing, hard shifting when cold from 1-2, then progressed to not shifting when cold from 1-2 (limp mode). I drove like that for 5 months or so, bought a 5 spd, and then changed my mind again, decided to remove all the shift solenoids...cleaned the "pipes", and the screen below soleniods B and C I think. That screen looked like your dryer screen full of lint. Cleaned it out, put it back together, and it shifts better than ever! Wish I would have done it 5 months ago! 176,000 on the I4..

It still takes about .5 seconds to downshift from 2-1, but very manageable IMO.

Last edited:

cajun

Reaction score
toast - that's good to know. I saw a bunch of posts at an Odyssey (the gen that had the same trans as the 6G Accord) site in which owners were talking about cleaning their solendoid screens to improve shifts. Like you say, the screens in the pics they posted were full of crud.

matty2013

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing, hard shifting when cold from 1-2, then progressed to not shifting when cold from 1-2 (limp mode). I drove like that for 5 months or so, bought a 5 spd, and then changed my mind again, decided to remove all the shift solenoids...cleaned the "pipes", and the screen below soleniods B and C I think. That screen looked like your dryer screen full of lint. Cleaned it out, put it back together, and it shifts better than ever! Wish I would have done it 5 months ago! 176,000 on the I4..

It still takes about .5 secondes to downshift from 2-1, but very manageable IMO.

Will there be a diy for this? :lawl:

toast

Reaction score
Sure, look at this picture, remove the soleniods, and clean the filter and pipes with brake cleaner, allow to dry, put back together.... Remove the battery and tray first, makes a world of difference! Screen #10 was by far the worst.

I will say that the filters are not the problem. Whatever crap is falling apart inside is the probem...This is only a band aid solution, but mine is much improved, and has not gotten worse since doing this.

Last edited:

cajun

Reaction score
two #4's, #10, and I dont remember if the numbers 11 and 12 had anything to clean, but I removed them all anyway to test them with 12V, and to check thier ohm rating to specs.

Did you not have to replace the gasket (#8) when you removed the solenoid to clean the #4 pipes? What did the crud look like? Any metal slivers? :ugh:

I'm going to install a Magnefine inline filter on the trans cooler return line to hopefully catch some of this crap. It's sitting at home waiting to go in. Ridiculous that Honda stuck a freakin screen in the 6thGen transmissions vs. a serviceable filter.

toast

Reaction score
I didn't replace anything. #8 remained intact and remained on the transmission for me...

There is a trans filter, but you only have to split the case to get to it!

Back