2 Accords, need opinions...

6genaccord

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been awhile. First I'd just like to say thank you to Justin for his dedication to this forum, namely in organizing Canam. I can't even begin to imagine how much time and effort you put into it and how you dealt with the situation as professionally as you did. I don't think words are necessary at this point, but I just want to acknowledge what happened to you was bull****. My reason on the other hand while extremely frustrating, was legitimate to a degree.

Also, stop flaming Canada. This same **** will probably happen next year to those trying to come stateside. I was treated the worst by the US side actually. Briefly: spikes thrown under my car, screamed at to get out, held for 45 minutes and not allowed to go to the bathroom, car ripped apart twice and I wasn't allowed to drive until THEY drove my car back to the US side... I had to walk. My record is CLEAN. Not one offense, I wasn't allowed in because my girlfriend had a pending court date for a DISMISSAL of a misdemeanor. They said I could come back the following week... yeah...

Nonetheless! So, for those of you who know my buddy Dan, his dad just sold me his 98 Heather Mist 5spd w/ 60K for near free. I'm tempted to start over but am really not a fan of anything aside from white or black for exterior (no offense!). Some of my exterior mods are already painted black. My plan now is to do a little NA build to track from time to time. I'd like to learn how to drive and have a little fun on my way to work. For the time being I'm saving for a house and this fits the budget.

So, I've narrowed myself down to 2 options, but with these options I have a few questions and concerns and that's why I'm posting. I'd really appreciate any insight you guys might have or just opinions.

1. Swap the engine and all relative components
While this is probably a noob question (I did try and search) whats the deal with swapping ecu/transmission/engine as far as VIN numbers, registration and inspection here in NY? I own both vehicles and friends keep saying that its not legal if the VIN's don't match when it comes to inspection...
2. Swap all external parts
Is this realistic at all? Quarter panels, doors, roof (both have sunroofs)?
3. Save for a paint job.
I'm hoping that if I throw a spare lip and a bunch of other little things here and there I will make money on whichever I sell... so maybe this could go towards new paint, though I would like to pick up that ported head I just saw in the classifieds...

Thanks for any and all input guys. Flaming welcome... :beer: I posted for some quick feedback because I don't have the space for both these cars and need to get the ball rolling during the upcoming week.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Andrew........embrace the HMM 5MT sedan. HMM is a dead sexy color. I say start fresh with the 5MT, and swap over the mods you want.

Or sell it to me for the same price Dan's dad did............ :deal:

Bee Dizzle

Reaction score
heather mist metallic is dope, (wish my car was that color) i thought my color was lame but i grew into it. i suggest just painting your wings west lip and swap all your old external parts to your new accord.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
HMM ftl :peek:

if the new car was that cheap...with less than half the miles of your other car (and isn't that one painted black...not stock black?)...everythings already in the 5 speed car...dont have to worry about VINs matching...plus the chassis itself has soooooooooo few miles on it...

deal with the color, swap parts over, save for paint (if you want). unless theres a ton of custom work done to the black sedan that can't be undone/redone, theres no reason to swap everything over into a higher-mileage body, imo.

Nismode

Reaction score
HMM ftw! I thought it was a meh color too. Mostly because it looks silver, and what would work with silver might not necessarily work with HMM. Also because I was opposed to a dark theme, but it actually isn't that bad.

Nismode

Reaction score
Andrew........embrace the HMM 5MT sedan. HMM is a dead sexy color. I say start fresh with the 5MT, and swap over the mods you want.

Idk about dead sexy though...maybe once I slam it I'll change my mind

6genaccord

Reaction score

After you said that I just browsed HMM... I wound up on Yogi's page and with the new set up, along with the new ksports I just paid John for... I'm thinking it might look very similar... However, now I'm thinking I'm going to miss my sun roof... maybe i'll just swap that...

heather mist metallic is dope, (wish my car was that color) i thought my color was lame but i grew into it. i suggest just painting your wings west lip and swap all your old external parts to your new accord.

I'm starting agree more...

HMM ftl :peek:

if the new car was that cheap...with less than half the miles of your other car (and isn't that one painted black...not stock black?)...everythings already in the 5 speed car...dont have to worry about VINs matching...plus the chassis itself has soooooooooo few miles on it...

deal with the color, swap parts over, save for paint (if you want). unless theres a ton of custom work done to the black sedan that can't be undone/redone, theres no reason to swap everything over into a higher-mileage body, imo.

It is stock black.. I had parts painted a long time ago and got really screwed... but yeah... the interior is completely done from door panels and dash board to rug and mats.

Also the body of the 98 5 spd has more miles on it. over 200,000 - i didn't mention this originally, but the engine and trans was replaced from the dealer around 140K

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
well the door panels and dash and such would swap over...and the moonroof is necessary... :lawl:

mileage doesnt matter a ton, since your 02 with 132k travels almost the same distance every year as the 98 did/does...16500/year for the 02, 16666 for the 98. 4 years and your 02 will be over 200k as well...

if i were you...id probably sell both and look for a 5spd sedan in the color you want :redface2:

Tphong

Reaction score
That sucks having your car torn apart and having to walk. I'd be a complete bit** to them.

Tphong

Reaction score
#1 I think there's like a testing or something for your car in NY don't really know. Maybe something having to do with their emissions thing.

Back