SRS Light Issues (aftermarket seats)

6genaccord

Reaction score
Alright I think this is the more appropriate section for me to post this question in.

I replaced my OEM passenger seat with an after market seat. I haven't had time to do the driver because it took 3 hours to fabricate a bracket this afternoon. The new seats do NOT have plugs for the 3 wires under our stock seats. Consequently my SRS light is now lit.

I've read that this means there is a problem with the airbags and they may or may not deploy. I know why the light is on and its only because the plugs are disconnected. Does the fact that the light is on regardless of cause disable my airbags on both driver and passenger now?

Nonetheless, through some research I've done its easy to relocate the seat belt receptor if thats a problem.

However, more importantly I've read that using a resistor for the (yellow) wire will solve the SRS light problem.

My questions are,

What's the third wire?

I want to fix this problem while retaining the functionality of my airbags.
Does the resistor fix 1.) work for our cars? 2.) enable the airbags to work correctly?

ccordex00

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure there's a plug dummy for that end, some kind of device that can fool the sensor

6genaccord

Reaction score
That plug dummy being the resistor?

Then only 1 on each side would be necessary for the SRS (yellow) wires right?

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score
what year car is yours? I have a 99 and the only wires were under my drivers side for the power seat functions. I dont have a problem with my sparcos and the srs..

6genaccord

Reaction score

so I guess they changed it after 2000? or the coupes are just different?

In either case, I'm surprised no one had talked about this before. Alot of other forums (mazda and VW) have threads on this with the specific ohm resistors for different seat configuration.

Anyway, hopefully someone on here knows something. I'm going to check with my local performance shop see if they know.

6genaccord

Reaction score
ok but has anyone had any experience with the resistor method of appeasing the under seat plug?

is it totally rendering my airbags useless?

if my front airbags will still work i'l just take the bulb out that way i can pass inspection

6genaccord

Reaction score
Bumping this again in the hope someone who knows will reply.

I replaced both seats and read on a VW forum to take an Ohm reading of the female plugs, then match it with a resistor and that would solve the problem.

Well this afternoon I had some time to mess around with it and here's what I got. I took a reading of the seat (yellow srs plug) and found it read as a "short" then I took a reading of the srs plug from the car and got a pulsing reading of voltage. So if the seat reads as a short... then that pulsing just goes through the seat back into itself?

This didn't make sense and I didn't want to just put a wire in one end and in the other to short it... but according the readings I took thats whats going on?

Has anyone replaced seats and gotten rid of the SRS light this way?
I understand even once I find a fix I have to reset the light but there IS a DIY on it. Thanks guys.

blaque~akkord

Reaction score
i'd rather take the bulb out on the cluster its more risky hacking the wires but that just me... base on my experience my srs light is on but my airbags still deployed... i think being the wires not connected under the seat is same problem as mine being the seatbelt harness need to be replace by the dealer but got lazy until the day i got into accident.... as i talked to this tech at honda when i have this light on he said this problem still deploy the airbags and the harness you need to replace are like sensors connected on the seatbelt that senses the impact how fast will they deploy.... just my input i'm not a pro but base on personal experience... hope this help you....

Back