CEL Codes - Misfires, Cat, & V-tec

6genaccord

Reaction score
Hey guys. It's been awhile since I've been on and all. Been really busy with work and stuff. I will post up a member ride thread again with an update in the next few weeks(dunno where mine went or if still exists)

Anyway, having some problems and needed a few quick opinions.

Inspection is up at the end of the week and I've been throwing codes for a week now. I know I know, I should've taken care of it first thing...

Anyway, here are the codes I'm throwing I did search and I know what they mean and what the "usual" options are. However, I'm trying to get this done ASAP and so I thought by giving you guys my symptoms you'd be able to help narrow down what order to do things in.

p0300, p0303 and p0304 misfires

p0420 cat(just gonna try and defouler trick tomorrow)

p1259 v-tec

My car starts everytime. Idles fine. Low end acceleration is fine, actually feels better then normal. Burns alot of oil lately. Top end feels... clogged (this be the cat? I thought I burned out the stock cat awhile ago... but maybe not) Distributor cap has a hairline crack in it that I didn't notice till now, but I replaced it last year. And the rotor is missing the little screw that holds it in.

**Water went up my CAI awhile ago, stalled the car for awhile, but eventually started again. This has happened a couple times before... each time throwing a code but eventually going away... this last time might've been it. and yes, running SRI now.

I'm thinking to just replace the oil pressure switch from what I read but was wondering if it could be something else? The misfires are what I'm most concerned about...

Anyway, thanks in advance guys. Just looking for your opinions on what to do first.
I'll be doing/trying to do these tomorrow

Oil pressure switch
Defouler

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well...start by replacing that distributor cap, rotor, and get a new rotor screw. Should solve all your misfire issues.

Changing or adding oil along with cleaning out the vtec solenoid should fix that one as well.

Seems you already have the cat issue narrowed down.

Drift

Reaction score
Well...start by replacing that distributor cap, rotor, and get a new rotor screw. Should solve all your misfire issues.

Changing or adding oil along with cleaning out the vtec solenoid should fix that one as well.

Seems you already have the cat issue narrowed down.

Do all these things, and replace the plugs too. Also, the oil switch has nothing to do with the ecu. It leads directly to the gauge cluster as the oil pressure light. Dont bother replacing it. Do bother adding or changing the oil. It is, or was at one point low enough for vtec not to be able to engage causing that code.

6genaccord

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Will post up progress tomorrow night.

Rotor screw - common piece (advanced/pep boys) or dealership? Because last time I bought the cap and rotor it didn't come with one.

6genaccord

Reaction score
Do all these things, and replace the plugs too. Also, the oil switch has nothing to do with the ecu. It leads directly to the gauge cluster as the oil pressure light. Dont bother replacing it. Do bother adding or changing the oil. It is, or was at one point low enough for vtec not to be able to engage causing that code.

That makes sense, but I'm puzzled. I tried cross checking the sticky that I pasted below.

P1253 21 VTEC System Malfunction
P1257, P1258, P1259 22 VTEC System Malfunction reads

21 VTEC Solenoid Valve defective circuit or unplugged / defective solenoid valve
* invalid code for non-VTEC engine
** invalid for V6 engine

22 VTEC Oil Pressure Switch defective circuit or unplugged / defective oil pressure switch

Even if it reads 1259/22 the fact that the oil was so low once would trigger the wrong code?
Anyway, just wondering. I'm gonna clean the solenoid tonight. Thanks for any clarification.

Drift

Reaction score
That makes sense, but I'm puzzled. I tried cross checking the sticky that I pasted below.

P1253 21 VTEC System Malfunction
P1257, P1258, P1259 22 VTEC System Malfunction reads

21 VTEC Solenoid Valve defective circuit or unplugged / defective solenoid valve
** invalid for V6 engine

22 VTEC Oil Pressure Switch defective circuit or unplugged / defective oil pressure switch

Even if it reads 1259/22 the fact that the oil was so low once would trigger the wrong code?
Anyway, just wondering. I'm gonna clean the solenoid tonight. Thanks for any clarification.

What do you mean by the "wrong code?" There are 2 oil pressure switches, I assumed you were going to try replacing the one on the back of the motor. The VTEC oil pressure switch is a different story. But they dont commonly fail, it would be the last thing that I d replace in that equation, mostly because its the most expensive and Id want to make sure I wasnt spending $100 unnecessarily.

9 times out of 10 a P1259 is a result of low oil, and not a failed switch.

6genaccord

Reaction score
Yeah Nick my mistake i should've mentioned it was the V-TEC oil switch I was considering. Nonetheless you seem to be right about it. I cleaned the solenoid and did an oil change. Also replaced rotor and cap and then reset ecu. drove 15 miles to work and nothing came back on. Hopefully nothing pops back on on my drive home.

Thanks for your input guys!

Now to wait and see what my cat does...

Back