New York State Engine Swap Question

6genaccord

Reaction score
I posted up a long winded thread in general but thought I might get a more straightforward answer with a shorter post. So mods... feel free to delete that one if this is too redundant.

I just got another Accord. 1998 4cyl 5spd w/ 60K. I want to just swap the engine/ecu/tranny into my 2001 4cyl auto w/132K. I keep hearing that I'll have a problem if VIN numbers don't match and stuff when it comes time to get it inspected. I don't know much about engine swaps and NY laws and I'm trying to sort out a direction to head in by the end of the week.

Opinions? Thanks!

acedomain

Reaction score
WHY?? did something happen to the 2001 that you want to swap out the 98 into it .....if you swap out the whole engine you need papers on the block idk i have never done it but all i know is that the block has the vin numbers and you need proof its not stolen ....this would not only be a problem during inspection but also if idk a cop decided to stop you and check or something i really dont know bout this stuff just know you would need proof that the engine is yours....

6genaccord

Reaction score
nothing happened to the 2001, but I would like a 5 speed. Also, seeing that this engine has half the mileage of mine and NOT a ULEV, I feel like I might as well. I don't know what kind of paperwork I would get seeing as I own both cars at the time being. I guess my other option is just take the transmission and ecu...

MikeyMike

Reaction score
as long as your car doesnt throw a CEL you will pass inspection.. 98-02 uses the same programing in the ecu that the state inspection reads off of. its a system called like cam02 or sumthing like that. (i could be way off)

thats how the new inspections for NYS know when you run a dummy car. the ECU programing doesnt match the VIN. as long as you keep it within the generation you should be fine

vin numbers are on the engine. if you get caught "racing" or for any reason get asked to open your hood and a cop looks for vin numbers. if vin number to the car doesnt match the engine, your car is pretty much impounded and stripped. unless you have "proper documentation" for the engine... aka the title.

but again.. its a 6th gen accord, not a civic/integra

6genaccord

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. Would a receipt of sale for the vehicle/ receipt of labor for the swap suffice as documention?

Also, could you or anyone else suggest a local shop that does a lot of Honda work? Maybe I could give them a call and ask. Most of my advice is coming from a Nissan tuner shop out on the island. They're all really paranoid with their imported engines...

Last edited:

acedomain

Reaction score
just keep the title like he said your in staten island right? pm aerarun he knows a shop dwn their doing a h23 swap for him or something he might know....

nyknick1015

Reaction score
ive done a couple motor swaps and i never had a problem with the vin on the engine and the body matching especially if its the same motor... if its a different motor, then it should be in question, but same motor should be fine...

ive been told many times, as long as the vin on the frame matches the one on the windsheild and matches the one on the rear door, as well as the trunk, ushould be fine VIN number wise ... most states wont give u problems unless u have like a toyota motor in a honda or nissan.. thats where you will will have problems

nyknick1015

Reaction score
60k vs 132k... a healthier motor (if it hasnt been beaten and whored)

acedomain

Reaction score
i think you should just save up to paint it man and swap out everything on your 01 to the 98 ....really the 98 has everything you want as far as miles and 5 spd ...and you havent told us what you will do with if you do swap motors will be a part out in the end ?? if so save yourself the headache and just paint and sell teh ulev as a whole car fully functionable and stock .... all you have to do is paint the 98 the same color as the 01 and your good....good luck:thumbup:

Back