sub+amp help

phi1542

Reaction score
60watts to each speaker for the price. Pretty good

I actually kinda want that one now :lawl:

Not bad. But you can get more power, more features, at $20 more http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23660_Precision-Power-PPI-S580.4.html

keep in mind if you plan on running 2 amps, 1 for mids and highs and 1 for sub, make sure your stereo has 2 rca outputs. because if you have a basic deck, "subwoofer level" controls the voltage out thru the rcas so when you go to "turn down" your sub if you dont have a bass knob you'll actually end up lowering total volume if you have the 1 rca out and y splitters.

this may sound confusing lol

it just happened in my buddies corolla. he ended up having a factory amp for the mids and highs so we had to split the rca outputs. i noticed that when i turned down subwoofer level that the whole car got quieter. its because the signal was coming from the rca's that we had to split, 1 to the monoblock amp and one to the factory amp.

alright lol ill probable go with the kenwood haha and i dont think i need anything near 4k watts! hahaha yea my head unit has 2 rca outputs. i have this http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60594_Pioneer-DEH-X3500UI.html what is cea compliant????

Yo phi. I'm a sacramento member let me know if you need a hand. I just got done with my budget audio build. I'm no wiring wizard but I'm down to help if you need assistance.

cool! my cousin might help me but if he cant ill hit you up :)

Last edited:

schmiddr2

Reaction score
So for something to be good it needs you to have heard of it?

The brand has been around a long time. PPI as it is usually called is one of the fathers of CA quality. They have been sold and bought since then but the new amps production where overseen by Grizz Archer who is well respected in the CA community. But since you have never heard of him I guess he's no good either.

I have owned many PPI amps, all older stuff and all were amazing. So yes, I have "heard of them".

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Most of the really good audio stuff is something that isn't seem often.

I have heard of them, which is weird, but that doesn't mean they're bad.

Memphis, digital design, and powerbass aren't common, but they're some of the absolute best equipment. Popularity doesn't always mean anything.

phi1542

Reaction score
These are all questions to ask yourself. Comes down to preference and budget.

As I stated, it comes down to whether you want an amp that you can still use if you add a sub in the future or want to wire the sub(s) to 1 ohm. Also, I would trust Pioneer over Power Acoustik.

you can always underpower a woofer, but it will not reach its full potential. you can always overpower a sub, as long as it is CLEAN power. take for example the sundown sa-12. it has an rms rating of 600, but people put 1k to it all day.

if your box is tuned right and you have your subsonic filter set correctly, AND you have your amp DD1'd you should be okay over powering a subwoofer.

right now i have a crappy kenwood sub thats rms is 250, but im putting a sold 700 to it @ 4 ohms. only gets stinky after 30 minutes or so, and thats probably because im trying to play too low of songs.

if i were you i'd try hard to find a CEA complaint amp that is 1 ohm stable and get a dual 2 ohm woofer to get the most out of the amp.

1_2ohmDVC_1ohm.png

Take a look around on amazon there are a lot of reputable brands to choose from in your price range. Maybe you'll find a better deal there than on sonic.

Not bad. But you can get more power, more features, at $20 more http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23660_Precision-Power-PPI-S580.4.html

Yo phi. I'm a sacramento member let me know if you need a hand. I just got done with my budget audio build. I'm no wiring wizard but I'm down to help if you need assistance.

alright guys thanks for all your input! after a long time i finally had the time to set it up! i went with the akoustik amp and pioneer sub and i love it! :) sounds amazing! im going to upgrade my speaker amp later on too. big thanks to cleansweeper for all the help!

phi1542

Reaction score
So... 2 years later my sub blew out today randomly lol Well I think at least. Turned on the car this morning and bass is gone. Sub doesnt hit. Wiring is still all intact and amp still powers up but there is this weird smell of like burnt metal so I assume the sub blew out. Not really sure why....

Anyways I need to replace it but I totally forgot everything about car audio so I need some input haha I still have the Power Akoustik BAMF-1250/2 amp for the subwoofer. I am thinking of getting this sub since it seems decent and price is nice.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_95346_Kenwood-KFC-W3016PS.html

I'm not sure if I want to go with pioneer again since my other one blew out after 2 years. I thought pioneer was suppose to last a while. any other suggestions? looking for around same RMS. 400 rms was fine for me not looking to make earth quakes hahaha anyhting in that ball park. Any suggestions on subs and amps?

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
Before you condemn the sub, run the stereo and check for AC voltage out with a multimeter to the subwoofer from the amplifier.

phi1542

Reaction score
Uhhh what? I have no idea what you are talking about o.o sorry I'm not that educated in this stuff haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Back