Side Branch Resonator

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Re: How to eliminate exhaust drone step by step

Posted up videos of inside the cabin while driving around my area and some outside revs.

I think I still need to do some fine tuning with the resonator though. At first when I'm driving no drone but after a while when it gets more hot then there is a little bit a drone. I took the video when it got hotter so drone was more noticeable. My original calculations were at 240 deg F but now I remeasured it when the exhaust was more warmed up and hot i got about 340-350 deg F. I think I got my drone wrong too. It's somewhere between like 2100 or 2250 RPM. It's pretty difficult pin pointing the exact measurements. My temp gun fluctuates at many different temperatures so it's hard to tell which one it actually is....

Other than that I'm still really happy with the side branch resonator! Even though my calculations were not exact it still got rid of 90% of the drone.

If you try this and can get your calculations right the first time then you're good to go.

I also have no mufflers so having it 100% quite inside isnt gonna happen hahaha

You could always cut the pipe and get a slightly larger one to slide over it like a trombone then use an exhaust clamp to hold it in place, you could prob add in a relief cut in the larger one to clamp it down easier. This way you could change the length as needed to fine tune what exact length you need to cancel out the wave.

phi1542

Reaction score
Re: How to eliminate exhaust drone step by step

You could always cut the pipe and get a slightly larger one to slide over it like a trombone then use an exhaust clamp to hold it in place, you could prob add in a relief cut in the larger one to clamp it down easier. This way you could change the length as needed to fine tune what exact length you need to cancel out the wave.

Oh damn I didn't even think of that lol Genius! Maybe later because tight on money. Already spent $150 and it got rid of a lot of the drone. You barley hear anything really. Just sometimes

I also added a cruising video haha in the video it captures some humming noise but when I drive on the freeway I dont hear it lol

phi1542

Reaction score
Re: Getting rid of exhaust drone?

Redid my calculations and used this android app on my phone called "Frequency Analyzer" to get a more accurate reading on the hertz for my drone. It was hard for me to pinpoint the exact RPM so I kind of just did it in the middle with temp at 350 deg F. Reduced from 39" to 36" and the results were great! I don't have the loud deep a$$ drone anymore... All I hear is engine and exhaust. DRONE IS GONE :) Great investment haha

Last edited:

phi1542

Reaction score
Re: Getting rid of exhaust drone?

So recently I got some new tips installed and the tail pipes changed from 2.5" to 2.25" to match the rest of the exhaust. So now my whole exhausts is 2.25". With this custom J pipe there was a lot of improvement with the drone reduction. So if anyone is trying this out its good to have all the piping the same. Here's a little clip haha

https://youtu.be/1k5ceax1ncU

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Pardie

Reaction score
Re: Side Branch Resonator (J Pipe)

So I'm planning on having a true dual exhaust set up on my car. As far as I can tell nobody has done it to a J series engine yet. The biggest obstacle to overcome is space for the pipes. I hope I like the sound of it because there is no way I could have side branch resonators on two pipes- four pipes across....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phi1542

Reaction score

What's true dual? Two pipe instead of one? If so just have 2 jpipes near the cat like i did one on each side. Same as mine but reflected i guess? I've seen people with multiple pipes have them on both pipes

Just took this today. Here's an inside the cabin clip https://youtu.be/pEKdg6dHgYs

Last edited:

Pardie

Reaction score

True dual is each exhaust manifold continues to the muffler as a pipe. No j-pipe. You can have an x or h pipe though to connect them but their is no restricting intersection of pipes. It's hard to explain without an illustration, but you can look up true dual exhausts. Mustangs and camaros and most trucks have aftermarket for them.

phi1542

Reaction score

True dual is each exhaust manifold continues to the muffler as a pipe. No j-pipe. You can have an x or h pipe though to connect them but their is no restricting intersection of pipes. It's hard to explain without an illustration, but you can look up true dual exhausts. Mustangs and camaros and most trucks have aftermarket for them.

Oh I see haha nice man that would be dope! If anything add resonators or vibrant ultra quiet resonator. They may help haha exhaust is really hit or miss when you experiment. I have spent so much money on mine to find it to my liking. Is switching to true dual have real gains? whats the purpose of converting it? just curious

Last edited:

Pardie

Reaction score

It is less restrictive so a little more hp up top but probably sacrificing some torque at the bottom. It's mostly for sound. When done right it adds a really nice burble

phi1542

Reaction score

It is less restrictive so a little more hp up top but probably sacrificing some torque at the bottom. It's mostly for sound. When done right it adds a really nice burble

Never heard one on our cars haha when are you doing it? Can't wait to see how it sounds!

Back