New subs project help!

Matt1264

Reaction score
So I recently got 2 8" kicker subs and an amp for FREE! So Im planning on making a box in my trunk. However Ive run into a few problems. The 2 subs are different ohms. one is 2 ohm the other is 4 ohm. Is there any way to wire these to an amp to make them work together. If not which of the 2 subs is better and will an 8" sub be enough to make all this worth it. Also, my head unit only has 4 channels and they are already occupied by the speakers. My plan right now is to split the rear channels before the amps like a drew in the picture below. Ok and please don't say to sell the stuff and buy something better because my dads friend gave them to me for free and it would be rude of me to sell his stuff to buy something else. Thanks!

4o4b.jpg

n4d8.jpg

mxuc.jpg

schmiddr2

Reaction score
That was very nice of him to give you all that. Quality stuff too.

The subs will not work together. One sub will have less resistance to current flow and take all the juice, making it easy to not hear one and blow up the other. Use the 2ohm sub. And yes it will be worth it.

Do you use the fader on your HU? If not then just yse the rear channels for the sub amp and split the front channels for the other amp. This will allow you to control the voltage going to the sub amp for times when you want a little less bang.

Matt1264

Reaction score
I thought about that setup as well but then i would be using only the one amp correct? Which i believe reduces half the power to go to the speakers?

edzyy

Reaction score
Those are both 2 different year solo's with different parameters too

Use one with a different amp.

That 4 channel would be awesome bridged on a pair of components upfront

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Same equipment as in your drawing, just that I would split the signal to the 4-channel rather than splitting between the 4-channel and the sub amp.

I assume you have 4 speakers up front. And you have a 4-channel amp. So take the front RCA outputs and split them using Y-adapters. Now you have RCA's for all 4-channels of the amp.

Take the rear RCA outputs to the sub amp.

The front and rear labels on the RCA's mean nothing if you don't use the fader.

Matt1264

Reaction score
oh ok thanks that makes sense. I don't use the fader but i like having it their :p I guess Ill probably sacrifice it then and split the fronts instead of the rears.

Matt1264

Reaction score
Alright so i got it all finished and now i need to take the time to make a diy on the enclosure process. Thanks for all the help guys!

Back