My Fixie Project

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
So on my way back to town from the airport i got in touch with a guy selling an old road bike for 35 bucks, he said there were some problems with it so i started thinking about other options for the bike. Almost immediately i chose to go Fixed Gear with it. I got the bike, rode it half way down the road and the chain came off, the shifting is totally old school, and the tires are probably 20 yrs old. but the frame alone is easily worth 35 bucks so i said i'd take it.

got a chance tonight to take a crack at it, went out and bought a basic work tool and went to work breaking it down to its frame and removing every unneeded component. took me an hour or two but for someone who's never worked on a bike i'd say i did pretty good

I'll keep this updated as i go along, haven't decided on the specifics of my fixie (rear sprocket type, gear, etc) but i'll keep you guys updated as it goes along

This is where started
SN850211.jpg

This is where i ended
SN850221.jpg

This is most of what came off
SN850222.jpg

This is probably part of the shifting problem:

Crankshaft bearing (as it should look, more or less)
SN850216.jpg

Crankshaft bearing (the other one in there)
SN850217.jpg

SN850219.jpg

There were 11 bearing rolling around in there when i took it all apart :eekwtf:

hope you guys like it..... oh and i got the chain off with just a leatherman and some brute strength

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
oohh.... looks like a fun project johnny... i used to work on mah mountain bike back in high school :badger:

i'd wash the tire spokes individually :lawl: wat a nerd :roy:

d1blet

Reaction score
it was probably a race bike, all CF, etc

mine should cost less that 200 total

that's what i thought initially until i read it and it said:

"It has no brakes and is a fixed gear bike that doesn't coast but works like a big wheel, so if you want to slow down you pedal backwards or lock your knees."

:rofl:

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
i read it too, the frame, wheels, chainrings, etc that can all run up a steep cost if you're an idiot like that guy

Back