Sway Bar Size FAQ

pinoy209

Reaction score
I went up and down this whole tread. Sorry if I pissed people off in here. Thank you.

AZmike

Reaction score
Despite what is written in this thread the solid 27.2 mm Acura TL-S front bar doesn't fit 4 cylinder cars--at least not mine with its aftermarket welded-in catalytic converter. I have the bar, bushings, and brackets in new condition if anyone else is interested.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
sooooo my question is

i see tons of 98-03 TL(non S) at a local junkyard would the sway bar from one of those make a difference i only see info on the S type

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
O,, okay.. I,, I did re-read this thread,, a,, and I,, I think,, I think I used the search function enough. :hidesbehindsofa:

:p

Well.. After years of a long debate, it's getting time for me to pull the trigger, and it got narrowed down to two choices for my new rsb:

---(04-08) Acura TL 6SPD: 20mm
---Neuspeed: 19mm

The calculation on its rigidity on the OP indicates that there will be a significant change, even if its 1mm difference, but I'm still contemplating on my decision..

As far as I've looked, Neuspeed's come with polyu bushings & brackets.
 ↓
http://import.neuspeed.com/179/0/0/583/2520193-rear-sway-bar.html

But, obviously TL's will be factory bushings & brackets.

I will be replacing my endlinks w/ either 6gen OEM's or Moog's, but would there be anything I should keep in mind among my choices of those two rsb's??
 ↓
For an example, does polyurethane material makes the ride quality relatively stiff, when compared to factory material?? It's b/c I've read on other threads that, polyu bushings (in general) makes the ride quality stiffer, as he gave a comment on the Performance Bushing Kit thread:
Honestly, if it's a DD, i wouldn't recommend it, even though they will last way longer, you will hate it. I'd just go OEM anyway, i know alot of people who ended up regretting poly bushings and going back.

(I like the car being tight in the corner & more stable on a straight line, but trying to keep my car being not too stiff on its ride quality, and that's what I'm aiming for my suspension.)

If that's the case, would it be like:

--- TL's 20mm factory (more rigid bar yet softer ride bushings) vs. Neuspeed's 19mm aftmkt (less rigid bar yet stiffer ride bushings) ??

--- OEM endlinks (softer ride) vs. Moog endlinks (stiffer ride) ??

If someone can give me a guide / confirmation on my choices, I'd be much appreciated. Some might tell me to get Progress 24mm bar, but I've read on other forums that ppl, who have changed their rsb to heavily thick one (like getting Progress' on a 6GA), have experienced their ride quality becoming very stiff.

Thank you in advance! :peace:

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I promise RSB's and especially endlinks have little to no effect on ride comfort haha. I've run all three (OEM, TL 6MT, & Progress) bars with both stock endlinks and Moogs. The only thing I noticed as I upgraded to thicker bars was better handling/stability and less body roll, with no noticeable sacrifice to ride comfort. Spring rates and shock dampening on your suspension, together with tire wall size has exponentially more to do with how the car rides.

Progress is best, but of your two final choices, cost and performance-wise the TL RSB makes the most sense. Pair it with some Moog endlinks (cheapest I found them was $17ea from RockAuto) and enjoy the same ride comfort you have come to know and love, now improved with less body roll and better handling. :)

Last edited:

phi1542

Reaction score
I promise RSB's and especially endlinks have little to no effect on ride comfort haha. I've run all three (OEM, TL 6MT, & Progress) bars with both stock endlinks and Moogs. The only thing I noticed as I upgraded to thicker bars was better handling/stability and less body roll, with no noticeable sacrifice to ride comfort. Spring rates and shock dampening on your suspension, together with tire wall size has exponentially more to do with how the car rides.

Progress is best, but of your two final choices, cost and performance-wise the TL RSB makes the most sense. Pair it with some Moog endlinks (cheapest I found them was $17ea from RockAuto) and enjoy the same ride comfort you have come to know and love, now improved with less body roll and better handling. :)

RSB affects ride quality? I didn't know that... So if i got the 3rd gen TL progress bar it would make the ride harsher?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I was saying that it doesn't, not noticeably anyway. You get a little more road feel, but not in a bad way, the car is just more taut. Suspension dynamics are far more dictated by the spring rate and shock dampening settings. That and the tire sidewall are much larger factors in how the car rides/feels as I said. Imo any miniscule change in comfort is far outweighed by the benefits of a thicker RSB. And when you're smiling while taking a corner, the last thing you're thinking about is "hmm I felt that dip in the road slightly more than usual". ;)

Last edited:

phi1542

Reaction score
I was saying that it doesn't, not noticeably anyway. You get a little more road feel, but not in a bad way, the car is just more taut. Suspension dynamics are far more dictated by the spring rate and shock dampening settings. That and the tire sidewall are much larger factors in how the car rides/feels as I said. Imo any miniscule change in comfort is far outweighed by the benefits of a thicker RSB. And when you're smiling while taking a corner, the last thing you're thinking about is "hmm I felt that dip in the road slightly more than usual". ;)

ohhhhhhhh haha sorry i misunderstood

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
I promise RSB's and especially endlinks have little to no effect on its ride comfort haha. I've run all three (OEM, TL 6MT, & Progress) bars with both stock endlinks and Moogs. The only thing I noticed as I upgraded to thicker bars was better handling/stability and less body roll, with no noticeable sacrifice to ride comfort. Spring rates and shock dampening on your suspension, together with tire wall size has exponentially more to do with how the car rides.

Hmmmm... I did a little further research and came to a conclusion that RSB's have only a minor effect on ride comfort. When I was getting the Powertrix LCA's, I was told that it might affect my ride comfort. After all, it was barely noticeable and I would've not being able to tell, if I wasn't mentioned. So, I would assume it will be a similar effect on thicker RSB's.

..., Progress offers the best performance currently available for 6GA.. I can always soften the dampening setting on my Tein, if I ever feel the Progress being uncomfortable on the road.

Honestly, I like having things on my car moderate to be more OEM+, so Progress 24mm has always been difficult for me to bite the bullet for it.

I'm gonna finalize my research, including what the real difference between Moog & OEM have to offer, and hopefully I'll be fully convinced to go w/ Progress, because going from 17mm to 24mm will literally be night 'n day, and I'm gonna have some real fun if I get it.

Thank you for allowing me to bring back Progress on a scale of my decision once again, Chris. I almost have eliminated that choice, and I really appreciate your input! :)

Last edited:
Back