rough idle

chaby_91

Reaction score
^it's not a bad idea, but I'd rather find and fix the issue than mess with the idle

chaby_91

Reaction score
i remember checking compression and cylinder leak when I went to automotive mechanics school and both were totally fine.

Checked for vacuum leak with carb cleaner. couldn't find anything
also, vacuum gauge showed me 57 cmHG (22.4 inHG).

I'm thinking about looking at timing now...
timing belt was done not too long ago, but I don't think the two are linked...

Last edited:

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
If the distributor not positioned right, it can retard the idle(timing). Check the rotor too idk

chaby_91

Reaction score
Timing is not the issue. distributor can only go 2 ways on this engine. right or wrong.

IDK about a bad ground. Can this really cause such a problem?

I have posted this issue on another forum. click here to see the page (if you wish to have a look at it...)

last post
No CEL confirmed.

I am confident that my engine is in good condition. I remember doing a compression test, leakdown? test and fuel pressure test. I didn't go any further because I got good results. That was about 10-15k km ago. The engine now has about 157k km, it's still fairly... "young"

I did the power balance test. Any spark plug wire I disconnected made the engine angry.

I disconnected the FPR vacuum line, while preventing change due to vacuum leak. Doing that didn't seem to affect the idle in any way.

There is no fuel filter on this car. Only a screen in the fuel tank.

The car is a manual. Only the idle is rough, between 750 and 1000 rpm. I have not noticed any other issue. If I slowly raise the rpm, it'll keep the shaking low until 1k rpm. If I press harder on the accelerator, the engine vibrates quite a bit then smoothes out after 1000 rpm

I also used TKO 2000 fuel system cleaner through the intake manifold and seafoam through the intake tube. It seemed to have made the idle just a bit smoother. I also filled the tank with premium gas. I did these after talking with 2 mechanics/techs.

I'm thinking that since the only previous owner ran the car like a 200 years old woman, maybe there is some pipe/line somewhere that's filled with gunk or carbon deposit.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I gotta jump back on 'scan it'

gotta see what's going on and not effecting.

chaby_91

Reaction score
been trying to find somebody with a scan tool with live data. no luck so far.

meanwhile i had the injectors cleaned and tried a distributor from a working accord. none of these fixed the problem

I will try to "rent" my mechanic's snap on scanner next week.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Use android? Ebay bluetooth obd thing is ~10, 'Torque' is a few bux. Use one at work, not my scanner.

Back