rough idle

chaby_91

Reaction score
I ordered a blutooth obd2 thing. I guess my next phone is going to be android lol. in the meantime I can use my bro's phone

Tectonickz

Reaction score
Hey @ chaby, just kind of wondering to see if we're having the same issue or not, does your car occasionally idle completely fine? Some mornings when I start the car up it idles at around 1000 very peacefully and as long as I don't turn on the AC it usually continues that through the drive, while sometimes it will start up idling at 750-900 and will shake. Sound familiar or no?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Sweet, I actually have one module at work and one perm on car w/ the prog on the radio :)

chaby_91

Reaction score
Hey @ chaby, just kind of wondering to see if we're having the same issue or not, does your car occasionally idle completely fine? Some mornings when I start the car up it idles at around 1000 very peacefully and as long as I don't turn on the AC it usually continues that through the drive, while sometimes it will start up idling at 750-900 and will shake. Sound familiar or no?

The engine acts normally as far as cold or hot engine is concerned. On a cold start, the idle rises to 1500 rpm and slowly goes down to 750-800 rpm. The vibration starts occuring anywhere around 1000 rpm and gets worse as the rpm decrease to idle.

The idle would sometimes be bearable as long as no or very little electricity (or A/C) was used. Some other times, the idle would be rougher; enough to have the hood shaking. The idle was never smooth though, so the problem is not intermittent, just not always as bad.

I recently got the injectors cleaned. This seems to have taken out the variation. Now, the hood always shakes.

Last edited:

chaby_91

Reaction score
I would say yes. There is still vibration in the cabin at idle, even more with A/C but that's likely caused by stiffer engine mounts I installed.

It's rather impossible that this is the same issue you have. If I were you, I'd check coolant level. Try bleeding it too. Remove air pockets.

Last edited:

Tectonickz

Reaction score
Yeah I guess I'll check a few things and maybe I'll find something. I took my car in not to long ago for an axle and I had them run tests and check for what could be causing my car to idle like it does, they couldn't find anything. They simply said "it's just from wear on the engine"

K-Bloch

Reaction score
Yeah I guess I'll check a few things and maybe I'll find something. I took my car in not to long ago for an axle and I had them run tests and check for what could be causing my car to idle like it does, they couldn't find anything. They simply said "it's just from wear on the engine"

Mine did this too. The first time I spent a long time trying to figure it out before cleaning my throttle body. The second time I just took a paper towel (maybe a shop rag would be a better choice...), lightly sprayed it with carb cleaner and wiped the area where the plenum meets the inside of the throttle body.

If that area gets gunked up, the plenum (name?) (brass-colored flappy paddle thingy inside the TB) won't be able to return to the fully closed position and the throttle position sensor thinks the throttle is open just a little bit. However, the physical opening is actually sealed by the carbon and oil that's built up around the inside of the throttle body.

Let me know how it goes and if ever find out what the problem was/is.

Muhammed Emin

Banned
Reaction score
My entire interior and dash will shake viciously if my ac is on. But the second the car starts moving or I rev it up the shaking completely stops.

Chaby are you i4 5 speed too or?

The problem you describe is broken motor mounts I have the same problem and probably everyone else who drives an accord. One of the most common problems with this car, if your ac is on it will get worse because the ac puts more pressure on the engine hence the broken motor mounts act up more which creates more interior vibration. Shifting in nuetral while idling will reduce the vibration

Ofcourse the car will not vibrate when you are driving beacuse the cylinders are in motion!

Last edited:
Back