Sound...

WhiteAccord

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys ive been having this propblem for a while now.... and its this loud rattling sound.... It only sounds when i get to a certain RPM(3600k).... and then when I hit 4500k it stops and continues smoothly.....Its coming from under the car... I think its my cat but im not sure... help please.... oh and its no bolt either just checked them all and tighten them too....

whitey2kaccord

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say the cat is through, but it could be a loose heatshield from the exhaust system. VCheck the exhaust mani. and the heatshields under the car. (you're gonna have to jack it up pretty high, so use jackstands.)

WhiteAccord

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah so I have thought about the heatshield.....But iim gonna replace the cat anyways..... if it still sounds like it does then ill look into the heatshields... thanks guys.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
my front heatshield mounting bolts were broken, making the car sound like it had a broken axle, but only while creeping along or idling. all i did was take the lower cat shield off and now its all good.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's your cat.
I have the same problem. I thought it was the heat shield for the cat so I removed it and the rattling sound is still there. What you can do is jack up the car and shake the cat and listen to it. If it rattles, there's your problem

WhiteAccord

Banned
Reaction score
O cool thats smart to do thanks /\/\ and its great news its my cat it gives me another reason to change it :)

theskytraveler

Reaction score
I've got the same problem myself. around 35-45mph I get a rattling sound underneath the car plus my CEL came on. Took it to my mechanic and he told me that the code says that I have a deteriorating cat. This is fine with me since I wanted to change the cat anyway. I'm just saving the money for a bunch of things

First is the wheels and tires next will be the cat, header and catback and cai

Good luck

Let me know which cat you're looking into to replace yours

peace,

Back