Bad axle?!

redlinevtec

Reaction score
So these passed couple of days my car has had a hard time accelerating from a dead stop. Loss of power so to speak. Oh, and I have a 5spd by the way.

At first I thought it was my tires, so I put air in but when I turn left or go kinda slow it feels like I have a flat tire. It's pretty bad.

I looked under the car today and see a $hit load of grease underneath the boot that goes into the transmission on the sub frame. I replaced the outer passenger side boot recently also but caught it before it sprayed grease everywhere.

I think I have a bad axle. I also smelled a burning smell a couple times while driving.

Does a bad axle explain the burning smell, loss of power and bumpy flat tire feeling when turning left or going slow? I might just go get one of those lifetime axles. Not sure it's safe driving a bad axle...

But I want your guy's opinion on this first before I replace the axle. Thanks

Asian Invasion

Reaction score
I'd say the axle needs replaced. The burning smell could be a number of things. Maybe the grease got on the exhaust pipe or you could be burning your clutch..

redlinevtec

Reaction score
I'd say the axle needs replaced. The burning smell could be a number of things. Maybe the grease got on the exhaust pipe or you could be burning your clutch..

Thanks Alan for the reply.

Well it turns out the passenger outer axle cv joint was to blame. The whole boot was off. Explains the grease everywhere. The feeling the car has a flat when making a sharp turn is gone. So happy :D

You can close this thread mods if you ever read this. :D

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
glad to see you fixed your issue..did you buy any honda tranny fluid to fill back what leaked out?
also my boots not tore but im still going to change both of them regardless
(you probably saw my thread started monday about this)ha

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
No tranny fluid should leak out when replacing an axle. If you meant the grease that spun out of the boot, a new axle should come pre-packed. The only thing you should have to grease is the splines on the new shaft before sliding it in (oooohhhh yeeeaaahhhh!).

redlinevtec

Reaction score
glad to see you fixed your issue..did you buy any honda tranny fluid to fill back what leaked out?
also my boots not tore but im still going to change both of them regardless
(you probably saw my thread started monday about this)ha

I think that autos leak tranny fluid when replacing axles. I'm a 5spd so I don't think I leaked.

No tranny fluid should leak out when replacing an axle. If you meant the grease that spun out of the boot, a new axle should come pre-packed. The only thing you should have to grease is the splines on the new shaft before sliding it in (oooohhhh yeeeaaahhhh!).

lol

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
oh, well damn..i thought it leaked once they are pulled out..I shall go pick some axles up sunday then..haha didnt want to spend another $40+ on fluid at honda.
im 5spd also.haha
thanks for the info

lwlba

Reaction score
im pretty sure some tranny fluid does leak out when you pull "shaft" out *insert high school girl giggles here* , but if you're careful, it shouldn't leak so much that you have to refill

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
maybe off topic but what/where did you buy your axles? I was talking to a guy who rebuilds/sells them and he said my oriellys ones are cheap china ones that are not heat treated.ect..ect..so im just curious to see what you bought

redlinevtec

Reaction score
maybe off topic but what/where did you buy your axles? I was talking to a guy who rebuilds/sells them and he said my oriellys ones are cheap china ones that are not heat treated.ect..ect..so im just curious to see what you bought

I just got a reman from Autozone for about $50 after your returning your core. If it breaks, take it back with their lifetime warranty. If you can't do the work yourself, buy OEM and save yourself the trouble.

Back