2002 accord f20b swap questions

79T/A

Reaction score
Hey guys, im new to the forum and ive got a few questions that i have not been able to dig up any answers to. I have a 2002 accord coupe with a 2.3 5 speed and ive been considering doing a motor swap. Ive found locally an f20b for quite cheap and did a bit of research to consider it a good candidate. I know that for the most part, its pretty much the same as doing an h series swap. However, where i live requires me to do an emissions test via my obd2 port. What ecu can i use to run the f20b that is still an obd2 ecu? Im sure the f23 ecu wont be much good there, right? What about a usdm h22 ecu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

604ACCORD

Reaction score
Hey guys, im new to the forum and ive got a few questions that i have not been able to dig up any answers to. I have a 2002 accord coupe with a 2.3 5 speed and ive been considering doing a motor swap. Ive found locally an f20b for quite cheap and did a bit of research to consider it a good candidate. I know that for the most part, its pretty much the same as doing an h series swap. However, where i live requires me to do an emissions test via my obd2 port. What ecu can i use to run the f20b that is still an obd2 ecu? Im sure the f23 ecu wont be much good there, right? What about a usdm h22 ecu?

F20b are obd2 and you prolly won't pass cuz emissions testing will be calculating for a f23 but you have a different motor in so I don't think it would pass. I'm basing this on how our system in Canada use to work so don't quote me on it, other people who have done this swap will have more knowledge than me.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score

You can run the 96 Prelude H22 ECU (I believe it's the P12), if you can find one. Other than that, your easiest solutions will be either going OBD1 and finding a way around emissions or going with a standalone ecu like AEM that can force the readiness codes so you never really have to worry about the emissions.

F20b are obd2 and you prolly won't pass cuz emissions testing will be calculating for a f23 but you have a different motor in so I don't think it would pass. I'm basing this on how our system in Canada use to work so don't quote me on it, other people who have done this swap will have more knowledge than me.

That's not how it works. Emissions doesn't care what motor it is, just as long as the parameters are showing/reading correctly. You could swap in a chevy small block and as long as it was obd2 compliant, it wouldn't care what motor is in it.

604ACCORD

Reaction score
That's not how it works. Emissions doesn't care what motor it is, just as long as the parameters are showing/reading correctly. You could swap in a chevy small block and as long as it was obd2 compliant, it wouldn't care what motor is in it.

When we used to have this testing here, the tester told me different vehicles/motors produce different amounts of emissions so the computer had parameters for vehicle/engine. Its was not just a set amount for all vehicles.

This is not my opinion just what I was told maybe your right, well probably your right its been like 4 to 6 years since it all shut down here.

But that **** was a huge cash grab and got ousted here so I really don't know how it worked, you could fail at one location and drive 20 mins to a new one and pass with flying colors.

This was our one we used to have

AirCare Testing[edit]
Each vehicle type and model year tested for AirCare had its own pass/fail criteria that were dependent on the emissions standards at the time said vehicle was built.[5] AirCare tested for levels of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen and diesel particulates.[5] Certain vehicles that were considered light-duty were exempt from AirCare.[2] Such vehicles included: - Vehicle models newer than 2006 - vehicles with vintage or collector plates - motorcycles, snowmobiles, amphibious vehicles and ATVs - farm fleet and agricultural vehicles - motor homes with a net vehicles weight over 3500*kg - electric vehicles [2]

Last edited:

79T/A

Reaction score
Bump in an attempt to revive a thread!
So a guy near me is selling an f20b for real cheap and is claiming he had it running off his stock f23 ecu. Is this possible? Wont it set all sorts of codes? I tried researching it and found very little but a couple others claimed the same thing

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It'll run, just not as well as if you had a proper ecu for it. I guess you could always look into a P72 also, might have some better luck with that.

TedMicer

Reaction score
i have a f20b Manual in my car u need a S300 or a Chipped P28/P72 You Will Have to run a jumper harness and do a IACV 3 to 2 wire Conversion

jponder4

Reaction score
I have the F20B swapped into my 98 sedan. I am running the PCB-004 (I think those are the right numbers) ecu for this engine and I have passed GA emissions testing for last 3 years. First time I was scared ***tless about passing though.

Back