H22 OBDII ECU w/o immobilizer?

Acclude315

Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of doing a JDM H22/5spd swap on my '99 accord lx sedan....i originally wanted to go OBD1 using a P72, but after seeing the wiring nightmares of fellow friends...i'm considering staying OBDII...i was told the best ecu for this would be one from a '96 prelude vtec because it has no immobilizer...but i have no idea what ecu this is (P12, P13, P14, P??)...i've tried searching undering p13, 12, 14 but i only came upon the OBD1 prelude ecu...does anyone know which OBDII ecu this '96 prelude vtec is, where i can find it or does it even exist? (if it helps any) i was told that this ecu calls for an OBDIIB to OBDIIA conversion harness...thanx

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
Your kind of in luck, I did the same swap H22A4 USDM also with 5spd swap and I stayed obd2. Is your JDM h22 obd2 or 1 that's important, Anyhow you need to look for the USDM P13-A12 ecu which is OBD2A some you might need a rywire obd2b to obd2a conv harness which is what I used.

I'm using a P13-A12 ECU which is only used for the 1996 prelude 2.2 h22 5spd Above in this pic below is a picture of the P13-A12 ecu vs the stock H22A4 ecu out of a 97-01 prelude which has the pain in the *** immobilizer. This is the reason why I did not want to use this ecu and my car would not see a dealer to get my keys programmed to work with it so that's where the P13-A12 came in. It's rare and highly sought after I mean really hard to find maybe the hardest honda ecu on the market to find everony is looking for it, 96 was the only year the obd2 p13 ecu was made and it didnt have an immobilizer in it.

Pics of the OBD2A P13-A12 ECU and the OBD2B 97-01 ECU
p13-a12.jpg

p13_2.jpg

You can use a F23 or H22 or even a H23 Tranny if needed I'm using the H22 tranny my self. I'm sure you can find a H22A4 Full drop out with tranny, ecu and wiring harness for about $1500-$2500 with decent miles but your going to have to look around but it such not be that hard. You'll also need to buy a conversion harness if you plan to use the P13-A12 ECU which converts your car from a OBD2b to a OBD2A, this harness costs about $100-$150 at most it depends where you buy yours. You also can use your stock F23 axels and jackshaft if your accord is already a 5spd or you can use the same ones made for the H22 both will work. You will also have to modify your powersteering line and also might have to lose Cruise control unless you can customize it to work I did not want to keep cruise since I never used it. This is only to give you an idea of some of the major things needed but if your going to be doing 5spd swap your going to need the shifter linkage and pedal assambly etc ofcourse. I might be missing of few things but this should give you a decent summury of what to except.

OBD2B to OBD2A Conversion Harness
obd2bto2a.jpg

Also Guys I'm about to leave to pick up my car in 1hr woot woot :)

Last edited:

Acclude315

Reaction score
thanx alot dreman....i have a 97-01 JDM H22 OBDII engine and tranny...so will this P13-A12 ecu be able to control Vtec (did it come from a vtec prelude)?

Acclude315

Reaction score
ohhh yeah one more question, what kind of injectors are you using for this ecu...peak and hold or saturated?

Egi7

Reaction score
Acclude315, just to shed some alternative light on your situation, you can swap immobilizers in the ecus, if you cant find the obd2a 96 ecu. The immobilizer is a rectangular chip in the ecu which can be easily de-soldered out of the f23 ecu and put into the 97-01 h22 ecu in place of its immobilizer,which will inturn start and run your car. I will post pics of the F23 immobilizer chip, its a very simple process and is "proven" to work, yes ive seen it lol.

Last edited:

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
I have not heard of that working I have yet to hear of anyone tricking the immobilizers but I guess I could be wrong but from what I have looked in to it has not been done. I also heard the accord and preldue immobilizer system are not the same but best thing is to check out some prelude boards serch and post about it. I have the stock h22a4 injectors and have a 99 H22A4 motor with 5spd trans and I'm using the p13-12 from the 96 vtech h22 prleude and only for that year prelude. Vtec works of course I just got the car tonight it's at home I'll have pics up once I fix a few things and clean the car up this weekend. Clutch is new need to break it in. I aint that good at stick yet I should of bought a 5spd to start really lol but you will love it.

Last edited:

Egi7

Reaction score
The immobilizers in the f23 ecu and the 99-up prelude ecu are the same, rectangle chip that has the code embedded in it. The immobilizer matches the codes to the key programmed for it, so when u swap the immobilizers it essentially swaps the codes needed to start. A guy on honda-acura had a thread on it, he had the obd2 h22 swap, and instead of getting the dealer to reprogram his ecu he examined both immobilizers in the f23 and h22 ecu and saw they were the same, delsoldered the f23 IMM and soldered it into the H22 ecu, car fired right up. The reason I didnt do it with the f20b ecu i had is because it had a different IMM than the usdm ecus, plus i was missing sensors which wouldve threw it in limp mode

Last edited:

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
That's the easy way to do it and your right but for people that want to still stay OBD2 for emission reasons it does not help.

Tx_Accord98

Reaction score
I've been looking at h22 swaps into 6th gen accords since they have started. i have planned on doing the swap for years, but haven't had the time or place to put my car down and start work. How much easier is the wiring from obd2 to obd2 compared to obd2 to ob1. i shouldn't have a problem with either, but i would like to go the easier route that will be less of a pain to figure out if something goes wrong.

Back