Seat heater switch install w/ RSX seats

chaby_91

Reaction score
The title says it all, I'm going to make sure my butt stays warm during the colder days and nights. :canada: This thread is a work in progress. I am not done installing it yet. You will notice that this could be a cleaner job, but making connectors is not the most important thing right now.

OK so the first thing to do was figure out the electrical diagram. The problem was that the accord seat heater has 2 heat levels while the RSX only have one. That not really a problem tho. you just to connect one of the wires and it going to work. But I wanted to have both settings working from the Accord switches. So I was lucky enough to find the electrical diagram from both cars. and was able to figure out a way plug them in.

This wiring diagram shows where I am at the moment. it's pretty self explanatory if you know what you're looking at.
WBJmnHF.jpg

I added a resistance and a diode to the low setting to lower the voltage and make sure I don't short out the circuit everytime I use low setting. I had never built a custom circuit before so I didn't know what type of resistors to use. I just know it theorically had to be 0.6Ω. So I went to the local electronic store to get some help. I explained to the electronics guru guy what I wanted to do and we looked at the diagram. This is the final montage v1.0
HFudfDw.jpg

He also said heat would be a concern and I should keep these in a ventilated area. I'm not going to do that so I need to know how hot these things will get. They are 25W 3Ω 6J. That's a total of 75W 1Ω* 18J.
*because of parallel connection

I'm going to skip you the math, but this means that these little bricks will produce enough heat to raise their temp by 2.27 °C every minute. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that.
I also know that there are heat switches in the heater's circuit. If I'm lucky, these switches alone will keep the resistor box from getting too hot.

Anyway, here is where I passed the wires under the carpet. It's the same on the other side.
KaXIkAE.jpg

This is the ground I used for practicality reasons. You can also kind of see that all my wires follow the existing harness. No random loose wires is best.
Tpf4cER.jpg

Wires go over the steering column, following an existing harness up to this empty space under the driver side dash where I'm putting the resistor box.
Kv8CcAo.jpg

This is where I am right now. I still need to make sure the factory wiring exist, then put relay and fuses in and get power to the switches.

Last edited:

chaby_91

Reaction score
^Thanks a lot. I appreciate the support.

I've done some more work today. All the wires needed to have the heater working were already there. I only needed to add the relay and find the power source.

taken from under hood fuse box - the circled seat heater 20 amps fuse was there already
xIzl3je.jpg

taken from driver under dash fuse box - the circled relay 7.5 amps was also there.
GIZeKsm.jpg

It's a small relay box next to the under hood fuse box - circled relay is the one I added. This leads me to think that if you have this supplementary relay box, you either have or can easily have heated seats.
1C38zrL.jpg

This is the connector where the power from the relay goes to. The wire is WHT/BLK. It's one of the big ones from the top row and the only one with this color scheme. I didn't want to remove this fuse box to find the other end of this circuit so I removed the wire from the connector and now, I'm going to plug the switches to it.
pxOgGc3.jpg

taken from passenger side fuse box. This is where it connects.
Oa8KiBx.jpg

it's almost finished

Last edited:

FNCONE

Reaction score
I remember taking mine apart, thinking maybe Honda threw the wire in there..... Yeah Right!... NO fuse 59 in USA cars, NOT EVEN THE WIRE. NO fuse in drivers box. LOL its easier running a new circuit. With time it would be awesome to add it it just like the Canadian model. Good Luck, Nice project.

chaby_91

Reaction score
^ yeah sometimes it pays to live in Canada hehe

Did some more work today. Passed this RED power wire behind the glove box and connected the WHT/BLK wire to the WHT/BLK wires from the switches.
1ZrLkUW.jpg

Tested them... and good news! They work!
XVx09GD.jpg

5w7H7ho.jpg

I also plugged the wires under the driver seat. Tested the high circuit and I could feel the heater working. Low circuit resistor box not plugged it yet.

ParisiOT

Reaction score
So you disconnected the white/black wire, attached an inline 20A fuse, and ran it to the switches?

chaby_91

Reaction score
^ In my car, the circuit was already present and fused from factory. I just added the relay and took power from the WHT/BLK wire.

sandydoull

Reaction score
Hey, a little off topic but does anyone know of a simple way to remove these original switches without removing the entire center console? (I have heated seats from factory just wanting to replace the backlight bulbs)

twofast4u

Reaction score
Hey, a little off topic but does anyone know of a simple way to remove these original switches without removing the entire center console? (I have heated seats from factory just wanting to replace the backlight bulbs)

I just did this a few months ago. Just pop off the shifter bezel, then remove the Phillip screws holding the switch bezel down, then you should be able to pop out the buttons.

ParisiOT

Reaction score
^ In my car, the circuit was already present and fused from factory. I just added the relay and took power from the WHT/BLK wire.

So wait, the black and white wire you're holding is pre-fusebox. So you found it on the other side? or just used the unfused straight wire?

Back