So I might be trading Frankenstein, thoughts?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I would join a Saab forum and read up on these cars...common issues, reliability, parts availability, if it shares platform/parts with another GM vehicle, etc. Nothing wrong with learning a new brand, but just make it's the right car for you to do that with. You want to know what you are signing up for.

And maybe ask yourself/think about why this guy wants to trade it for yours.

Last edited:

Denton1000

Reaction score
The 9-3 shares its platform with the Malibu, G6, etc. it’s called epsilon and is very good. I’m looking at a G6 right now and that platform is tuned for a very nice but still sporty ride. If it’ll be a better overall car for you while still being fun, I’d say, go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capsidx

Reaction score
All good points. His thing was he wanted to get back into the Honda game. He even has a Honda tattoo :lawl: he told me about previous builds he has and just told me that no one likes Saab’s because of the stereotypes kind of like we have with civics. He took me for a drive and I was impressed. It’s got like 210 hp and 250 ish lb ft of torque. I learned a lot from Frankenstein but if I can start with something more powerful that would be nice. Rather than having more downtime. So, I like the car. It pulls great. My only thing is it’s got 180,000 miles. From what I understand that’s not a lot for a Saab but I don’t know what kind of 180,000 miles they were. Car seems solid but without extensive checking into the engine I can’t tell. My motor “seemingly and allegedly” has less than 65,000 because it’s Jdm. I’m more worried about the miles more than anything and I really like everything about it. It’s like a mini tl with a turbo. The problem with finding parts isn’t true because with anything there’s aftermarket. I can safely say like 75 percent of guys on this forum go aftermarket before oem from the dealer anyways. So I really don’t know. On one hand I’m getting a nicer, slightly faster car with more potential for power with less downtime. On the other I’m giving up a low mileage motor, losing quite a bit of driving fun and losing my first car. However my three month old son can’t ride in my car and I want something I can enjoy with the family and without. I want something with power and comfort. Frankenstein has good power and is a blast to drive but it’s more driver focused rather than passenger focused at this point. And yes Roy it shared parts with a subie :lawl: although I think it was a specific year that did that.

Kimbo80

Reaction score
is this the one that shares the same platform as a subie? :thinking:

That was the Saab 9-2x, a.k.a. Saaburu. It was a Impreza/WRX clone but with a different front end, tail lights and nicer interior. Powertrain was all Suburu.

Saab enthusiasts were up in arms, because the ignition was on the steering column. The location of the ignition on the 9-3 and 9-5 are on the center console. I think it was to pay homage to Saab's aviation history.

I have never driven the 9-3, but the 9-5 I drove back in the day was really quick with minimal turbo lag.

capsidx

Reaction score
Yea it’s really nice even for low boost but as far as reliability goes I don’t think it’s easy to say it’s reliable or not because of the miles. I don’t know if the bearings are on their last legs or if the engine was ever ran with low oil, or if flakes from the turbo entered the engine etc. obviously I wouldn’t know that even if it was low mileage. Hell my last motor was low mileage and it exploded. So I’m kind of up in arms because I don’t know the condition of the inside of the motor

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you are serious about it, take it to an indie shop that specializes in Saabs and have them inspect it. That's the only way you are likely going to get any sort of solid info about the current state of the car, especially the internals.

Last edited:

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
is this the one that shares the same platform as a subie? :thinking:

I thought it was the 1 that was supposed to share the Opel chassis, but the Saab engineers decided it needed more metal and other work added to make it a better/safer car. So much so that Saab threw out the GM navigation system as it was junk. GM was loosing money on every Saab sold, because nothing interchanged with other GM models like it was supposed to (according to GM).

I still say do what you want, if you want the Saab, do the trade. If you want to keep your Accord, keep your Accord.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
That was the Saab 9-2x, a.k.a. Saaburu. It was a Impreza/WRX clone but with a different front end, tail lights and nicer interior. Powertrain was all Suburu.

Saab enthusiasts were up in arms, because the ignition was on the steering column. The location of the ignition on the 9-3 and 9-5 are on the center console. I think it was to pay homage to Saab's aviation history.

I have never driven the 9-3, but the 9-5 I drove back in the day was really quick with minimal turbo lag.

ahh.. i knew it was one of these haha... thanks for clearing it up

capsidx

Reaction score
Not even sure now because that’s another expense. But at the same time I don’t want to waste money trading for a car that might be worse than it looks but you’re right about everything. But this more or less means I could never trade my car for something else because it’s always a gamble. He’s selling it for 1800 which has me a little suspect but he told me it’s because he’s had a hard time getting rid of it because people don’t like Saab’s

Last edited:
Back