What to look for when buying a 6GA?

swenyo

Reaction score
I'm going to be checking out a 2002 EX coupe soon and was wondering what type of things I should be looking out for as warning signs/to help barter and lower the price. The car is definitely not the prettiest but it's one of the very few that I've seen that actually meet my standards (manual, leather, sunroof, black). He's asking 3500 and it has 147k miles. Any help would be appreciated.

This is my first post although ive been lurking for a while so I can't post the link, but its under the sacramento craigslist with the title "2002 Honda Accord CLEAN" if you need visuals/ more info

Gradfien

Reaction score
As a mechanic from the salt belt, i would say check for rust on the passengerside front subframe, but thats probably not an issue in CA. The most important thing would be to make sure the timing belt got changed. checking the oil to see how dark it is, is not a bad idea either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
the 5spd 6GA is pretty well built... i would just check the fluids and overall condition.. and like Gradfien stated, ask when the timing belt and water pump were changed

Accordx

Reaction score
Rust, leaks, the obvious stuff I guess. On a 6th gen in particular because of its age the radiator hoses and the throttle body(cables). If I think of anything else I'll add it.

dawg316

Reaction score
avoid autos. must be a clean title. and atleast if a timingbelt/waterpump jobs been done to it.

maintance records are nice to have aswell

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I'm going to be checking out a 2002 EX coupe soon and was wondering what type of things I should be looking out for as warning signs/to help barter and lower the price. The car is definitely not the prettiest but it's one of the very few that I've seen that actually meet my standards (manual, leather, sunroof, black). He's asking 3500 and it has 147k miles. Any help would be appreciated.

Crawl under and look for damage, scrapes, and anything that might look out of place. You're looking for wrinkles in particular, but also any places where rust might starting. Open the rear trunk, and lift up the spare tire cover and look for wrinkles and water tracking (you've had a bit of rain this winter so it might still show up). Basically you're again looking for something/stuff that catches your eye as to whether or not it should be there. Add on things like a 6 disc CD player/changer are ok, but look at how it was installed, as that might give you a clue about how other repairs might have been done.
Definitely ask when the timing belt, and water pump were last changed. These are interferance engines, and if the belt breaks, you're looking at a head replacement minimum, or complete long block/engine when it happens. Also the belt should be changed every 60K miles or 6 years whichever comes first. This means if the original belt was changed at 100K miles, you're 47K into the 60K miles. But if that belt was changed in 2008, then it's "aged" out. This why you want to know when it was last done. Keep in mind that's about a 700 dealer job (900 in California), and it's about a 4 hour job to do (I've done 4 of them, with doing 1 a second time).
Just a heads up.

swenyo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips everyone! About to go see the car right now, I'll give an update on how it goes.

Also, does anyone know where to get an 01/02 coupe front bumper?

Accordx

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips everyone! About to go see the car right now, I'll give an update on how it goes.

Also, does anyone know where to get an 01/02 coupe front bumper?

Amazon and eBay have coupe bumpers I think, or check out your local junkyard sometime this spring. You can probably find a decent deal somewhere.

swenyo

Reaction score
UPDATE: Ended up going through with the purchase and can finally say I have the car that I've wanted for so long. Is it just me or are manual EXs hard to find?

Connie

Reaction score
UPDATE: Ended up going through with the purchase and can finally say I have the car that I've wanted for so long. Is it just me or are manual EXs hard to find?

There aren't many of them. But I have to say that black coupes with leather are my favourite too, my 2000 V6 coupe is black and it looks nicer than any other colour in my opinion.

How's the clear coat on yours?

Congrats on the new ride man!

Back