DIY: Suspension top plate rubber isolator

matty2013

Reaction score
So for anyone who has Ground controls that come with the eibach springs, you may have encountered the same issue.

The rubber spring isolators that come on the ground controls tend to break and end up looking like this or worse.
img0106xc.jpg

So I decided to use the OEM rubber inserts that come with the top plates from Honda. Although the hole in the center of them turned out to be too big and the springs slipped through and ended up resting on the metal and making a lot of noise on bumps and such.
looked like this after putting the car on the ground and driving around for a few minutes.
img0192zb.jpg

img0193ar.jpg

Since these didn't work either, I decided I would make my own spring isolators with polyurethane. instructions as follows.
1. Jack the car up and put it on jack stands at all 4 corners.
2. Remove the wheels and suspension.
3. Disassemble the suspension by removing the bolt at the top of the top plate. ( MAKE SURE THERE IS NO LOAD ON THE SPRING FIRST!!! I say this in case someone without adjustable suspension decides to try this and there is a load on the spring and end up hurting themselves or not even being able to reassemble the spring)
4. clean out the top plate
img0195oy.jpg

5. apply polyurethane, smoothing it with a piece of cardboard or plastic. ( I recommend doing it in layers, maybe 1/8" thick at a time with an hour of dry time in between)
**Note** Ignore the product shown in the photo "PL premium polyurethane adhesive" turned out to be a terrible product to use. I had to remove it and start over again. Look for an automotive Polyurethane filler or sealant, similar to window sealant used on windshields I believe.
img0194kc.jpg

img0196v.jpg

6. Allow to dry for 48 hours
7. reassemble and test it out

Thoughts after reinstall: Worked out perfectly and I have no issues with noise of metal on metal when going over bumps

Raymond

Reaction score
Hopefully I don't have to replace mine anytime soon, just FYI those rubber isolators are $12 each new from Eibach (I bought a set of new ones for mine).

Namboyz

Reaction score
do you have noise coming from your rears? i have GC's as well and i get noise when i hit a dip in the road or randomly sometimes.

Namboyz

Reaction score
Hopefully I don't have to replace mine anytime soon, just FYI those rubber isolators are $12 each new from Eibach (I bought a set of new ones for mine).

whatttt!! they charged me 20 a piece. where did you get yours?

Back