DIY Cathode Lighting: License Plate, Dome Lamp, Trunk lighting.

kevinbo03

Rollin' OEM style
Reaction score
Re: DIY Cathode Lighting: License Plate, Dome Lamp, Trunk lighting... **56k=certain d

Just added some nighttime pictures.

thorough write up for sure.

my curiosity wonders...why use ccfls over leds? beside the cost, i mean.

if they tend to burn up, wouldnt you be afraid of being pulled over for no tag lights? at least here in WI, any light out on your car's exterior is a primary offense. meaning...you could be driving back from grandma's house after tea, abiding by the law, even coming to a complete stop...and they can pull you over for a tail lamp out (not to mention a brake light or head light!).

personally, id rather spend a little extra for leds. time vs money, and this time well throw in reliability...

That's a good point, Hadn't thought about that! A solution could be letting the stock bulb light up, but still pulling power from the stock wires for the cathodes. This way, if the cathodes burn out, the stock lamp will still be there. Also, I don't think you would be able to see that the stock bulb was on if the cathodes are on. Just checked them out now that it's nighttime, they are pretty bright.

I decided to go with cathodes since I have used them before and thought it would be a fun afternoon project. For the trunk, I think the cathodes would have a definite advantage, since the 12" ones will throw allot more light then any single bulb that firs in the housing could. For the dome light, I'd have to say it throws about as much light as the 20 led lamp I had before. I may put 2 more 4" cathodes in, bringing the total dome cost to $11 but hopefully making it even brighter.

I would like to add that they do not burn out very often. It's actually quite rare. However, if they are receiving odd or improper voltages, that is when they start to have issues. As long as your car has a battery in good health, and all of the lights don't dim when starting, you shouldn't have any problems for years, if not the lifetime of the car. The reason I've seen a few burned ones is because I would frequently use 10v or 11v power supplies for lamps, since they were considerably cheaper then 12v ones. I also had 4 ballasts burn out all at once when the power supply in my PC died one day.

I also plan to try to find a way to alter the map lights, though cathodes will definitely not work there because of size and the lack of direction. Trunk lamp will be getting done soon though, likely next week. Should be very nice for showing off subs.

Thank you for all the comments and compliments, If anyone does this, please share your results! I would be eager to see anyone's results.

Last edited:

Sakuradrops808B

Reaction score
Re: DIY Cathode Lighting: License Plate, Dome Lamp, Trunk lighting... **56k=certain d

Very good effort on the diy and write up. You are almost immortal in 6ga game.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

lol just thinking about batteries...id need to replace mine in order to work with ccfls (its about 50% good)...so there goes the cost savings :lawl:

youre right on the license plate lights...besides an LED array or 2 "disc shaped" Super Bright LED arrays on both sides...which would need housings made...one of those under-cabinet strips might work. but they wont be bright.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score

my curiosity wonders...why use ccfls over leds? beside the cost, i mean

imo, a ccfl tube looks a lot cleaner than a drop in LED, and it lights up more.

if they tend to burn up, wouldnt you be afraid of being pulled over for no tag lights?

ive had mine for a long time and its still goin strong. idk what all those dudes were doing wrong that were putting them in their headlights.

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score

imo, a ccfl tube looks a lot cleaner than a drop in LED, and it lights up more.

ive had mine for a long time and its still goin strong. idk what all those dudes were doing wrong that were putting them in their headlights.

I :love: my two 12" CCFL's above my license plate, soooo bright :lawl:

Andy I think some of the issues I was having with mine were that I was not sealing up the transformers and even though they were indirectly exposed to the elements **** was still getting into them. Since I have a coupe and don't have a trunk (license plate on bumper) to hide the transformer in I sealed up all openings on the transformer with liquid electrical tape, and it seems to be getting the job done

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

idk...but i hate taking headlight apart :ughrun:

kevinbo03

Rollin' OEM style
Reaction score

I figured out how to do the trunk lighting, required a pair of diodes to counter crossflow, which kept blowing the ballasts. Now got 6 white 12" cold cathodes in the trunk, Very bright and even distribution of light. I'll add that guide later.

ALSO tested the idea of running the cathodes and the stock lamp for the license plate, works great. Stock bulb emanates a subtle line of yellow light, provides allot more redundancy.

TriNiCorD99

Reaction score

great write up man!! looks good. only thing is that you see the wires in the dome light once it is on....just being picky....lol good job tho!!

Back