DIY Cathode Lighting: License Plate, Dome Lamp, Trunk lighting.

kevinbo03

Rollin' OEM style
Reaction score
Re: DIY Cathode Lighting: License Plate, Dome Lamp, Trunk lighting... **56k=certain d

Mmm, didn't think about that... Worst case, it would blow the mini fuse inside the ballast. When those blow, you can replace the mini fuse with a small strand of copper wire. Just solder it to the fuse contacts and dab the loose wire with hot glue to prevent and un wanted contacts or shorts. I fixed a few of the blown ballasts that way, I never noticed it was a fuse that was blowing!

dynasty

Reaction score
Re: DIY Cathode Lighting: License Plate, Dome Lamp, Trunk lighting... **56k=certain d

well, it would be really easy for the foil to be grounded, since the grounds run through the bolts that hold the light in place. I actually got some sparking action as i was screwing them in. I think it was due to the built-up static electricity of the tape being pulled from its backing.

it was a fun mini light show:duckhunt:

i don't think that bolt touches the chassis. because the headliner is holding the dome light. and i'm not sure if foil tape can still attract electricity. didn't think about that.

matty2013

Reaction score

You should not have to worry about the foil touching the wire as long as the foil is not grounded.

Will add pics to guide now. :naughty:

You could add a layer of clear tape, bvefore laying down the foil tape, this would isolate the foil tape from the housing completely

matty2013

Reaction score

Just curious, does the ballast get knocked around by the sunroof cover thing? I would think you'd have to push it pretty far back so that when you open the cover thing it doesn't push the ballast and unplug something...

kevinbo03

Rollin' OEM style
Reaction score

Haven't had any problems thusfar, I'll check it out when adding the foil to see if it hits it. Didn't think about that...

Dtownz Thrillah

Reaction score

I got my cathodes in today and install was a breeze.

Also I dont know if I can squeeze two more in because I dont think it's bright enough.

vorin

Reaction score

i noticed when they first turn on, they are more blue, but then warm up to white.
I'm not sure if it will do the same thing when the weather is warmer or not.
it doesn't bother me like it is.

kevinbo03

Rollin' OEM style
Reaction score

I got my cathodes in today and install was a breeze.

Also I dont know if I can squeeze two more in because I dont think it's bright enough.

I'm in the same boat. Going to try adding the foil, since vorin did and his are BRIGHT!

Mine also start a little bluish, Goes away after 10-20 seconds, temperature pending.

Teaser of a "project" i've been working on, should be finished soon. :naughty:

0410090051.jpg

Last edited:

Zero-Defect

Reaction score

Jesus christ, what are you doing with all of those, lining the entire hood with cathodes?!? lol

SykVSyx

Reaction score

Kevin/Vorin,

Very helpful, great write-up, Kevin.

I've been wanting to upgrade the remainder of the lighting in the car. I guess your map lights and door/courtesy lights will be next then? It only makes sense! :peace:

Back