DIY Cathode Lighting: License Plate, Dome Lamp, Trunk lighting.

Zero-Defect

Reaction score
Re: DIY Cathode Lighting: License Plate, Dome Lamp, Trunk lighting... **56k=certain d

Door lights? Not sure how he'd fit even the 4in in there... although he could cut out part of the lower part of the door panel and put a 4in in there (12in if he's that crazy lol)

matty2013

Reaction score
Re: DIY Cathode Lighting: License Plate, Dome Lamp, Trunk lighting... **56k=certain d

Line the bottom of the door with clear plexiglass and mount a CCFL inside...?

kevinbo03

Rollin' OEM style
Reaction score

Kevin/Vorin,

Very helpful, great write-up, Kevin.

I've been wanting to upgrade the remainder of the lighting in the car. I guess your map lights and door/courtesy lights will be next then? It only makes sense! :peace:

Thank you.

I replaced my courtesy lights with "194 168 W5W 2825 (Super White) Xenon" bulbs from here: ($1.49)

http://autolumination.com/194.htm

They work great for the courtesy lights, but are not bright enough for the map lights. I'm going to either wire my own led's or buy one of the led bulbs for those.

My camera is still in Boston, so the next teaser pic will also be poor quality.

0410091321.jpg

vorin

Reaction score

i replaced my door lights with LEDs too, as well as my map lights. I bought my LEDs from superbrightleds.com

kev, i hope you have at least tried swapping out the 3rd brake light with a cathode, otherwise, i might have to try to beat you to the punch on that one.

kevinbo03

Rollin' OEM style
Reaction score

i replaced my door lights with LEDs too, as well as my map lights. I bought my LEDs from superbrightleds.com

kev, i hope you have at least tried swapping out the 3rd brake light with a cathode, otherwise, i might have to try to beat you to the punch on that one.

I did think about it, but the place i get my cathodes from is out of stock on red. Go for it! :thumbsup:

What LED's did you get for the map lights? Are they bright enough?

You could do the brake lights as well, or add halos to your from lights using 80mm PC case fans w/ cathodes:

xoxide_2047_278526170

Back in the day I would mod the Xbox xymbol on people's Xboxs to glow using those round cathodes. :coffee:

vorin

Reaction score

lol, i pimped out my classic xbox with blue leds. 3 around the self-cleared jewel, and one inside each controller port.
if i redid the 3rd tail, i'd prob do an LED strip like this

Dtownz Thrillah

Reaction score

I'm in the same boat. Going to try adding the foil, since vorin did and his are BRIGHT!

Mine also start a little bluish, Goes away after 10-20 seconds, temperature pending.

Teaser of a "project" i've been working on, should be finished soon. :naughty:

0410090051.jpg

I lined mine with chrome duct tape.

Its bright but my interior is black so the lights looks dim on the black leather.

Alsooooooo sell me like 1 or 2 pairs of white 4 inch cathodes :D

Johnson

Reaction score

So bright that they light up the streets! (much brighter than pictures..)
101_0111.jpg
101_0112.jpg
101_0113.jpg
101_0114.jpg

vorin

Reaction score

i know what you mean (about lighting up the street.)
one time, i was left my car running outside my appt. while i ran in to get something, and when i came back out, i approached the car from the side and saw the white behind the car and thought if there was any way that my car was in reverse.:ohyou:

kevinbo03

Rollin' OEM style
Reaction score

No more teasers... Been working on cathode kits for license plates. I had a few goals:

-Completely plug and play. No splicing, electrical tape or any of that stuff. Just insert, adhere, and go.
-Integrated diodes. These serve two purposes. One, they prevent current from flowing backwards through the cathode's inverter, which would break it. Secondly, they lower the voltage slightly, providing a voltage closer or slightly lower then 12 volts.
-Built in fuse. God forbid you encounter a short somewhere, this would be a nice safety measure to have.
-Full sleeving and clean appearance. It makes the kit much easier to install and remove, very organized.

These took allot longer to make then I had imagined! My goal with selling them is just to break even. If there is still demand after that, I will make some more. Some pictures of the completed kits...

img0099qaw.jpg

Currently stocking white, blue and green.

img0100t.jpg

Inline 3a fuse. ATO type, for simple and easy replacement if needed.

img0103h.jpg

Wiring harness plugs directly into the stock bulb socket. Here is a shot of teh harness and the stock 194 bulb.

img0104rhp.jpg

Diodes (as seen in the picture) are soldered and hot glued into the bulb connector, for a strong connection and clean appearance.

img0106d.jpg

Carbon fiber pattern sleeving. Looks dark grey from most distances and angles.

img0110h.jpg

All sleeving and wired connection heatshrinked, and not burnt!

img0111zvk.jpg

One wiring harness

img0113e.jpg

A complete kit.

Every kit includes:
-Custom wiring harness w/ bulb socket connector and integrated directional diodes and ATO fuse.
-Cathode ballast
-2x 4" cathodes of your choice, sleeved and prepped with STRONG double sided tape.
-Package of Velcro tape pre-cut to proper dimensions, if you prefer Velcro over double sided tape.
-Photographic installation guide

And for anyone who is reading this thread and does not have a 6th Gen accord, these kits will work for any car that uses a 194 or 168 bulb for the license plate lamp (So long as the wire can exit from the bulb's enclosure) or any car that provides 12v for it's license plate lamp (splicing will be required for non 194-168 cars).

I will be shipping these kits in a USPS small flat rate box. Envelopes are a few dollars cheaper to ship, but since these contain delicate glass elements, i would prefer to use a box.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly to most of you, I will soon be hosting... A raffle! Details will be in another thread, linked to this one when it is posted.

Please do not yet PM me with any inquiries. I will post when they are available for sale.

Back