Replacing VC Gasket soon, have some questions.

finch13

Reaction score
Spraying off around the VC with brake clean, especially on top of the intake manifold where it meets the head, will make the job a million times cleaner/easier.

The 4 rings are the spark plug tube seals. Sometimes they will bake in there so tight they'll be a ***** to take out. They can make an easy job take far too long in a heartbeat.

The 5 grommets are for the bolts. Separate the metal washer and the old grommet and cut it off. Slide the new ones on, Napa Sil-Glyde or any other silicone based grease works wonders for this.

On other VC gaskets, the 4 dabs of RTV can be really important, but I can't say I've had a Honda one leak yet without using it. If you don't plan on taking the VC off anytime soon, you're better off to do it.

pattywak

Reaction score
Spraying off around the VC with brake clean, especially on top of the intake manifold where it meets the head, will make the job a million times cleaner/easier.

The 4 rings are the spark plug tube seals. Sometimes they will bake in there so tight they'll be a ***** to take out. They can make an easy job take far too long in a heartbeat.

The 5 grommets are for the bolts. Separate the metal washer and the old grommet and cut it off. Slide the new ones on, Napa Sil-Glyde or any other silicone based grease works wonders for this.

On other VC gaskets, the 4 dabs of RTV can be really important, but I can't say I've had a Honda one leak yet without using it. If you don't plan on taking the VC off anytime soon, you're better off to do it.

So for the spark plug tube seals, I should only replace them if absolutely necessary? (As in, warranted by obvious damage to the seals?)

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Yes the large (4) round gaskets are the spark plug seals, You don't HAVE to replace these unless they are obviously worn out.

The other (5) are the gaskets for the bolts that attach the VC to the head.

The bolts DO snap easy. and it does suck to fix.

The other thing is i know it is advised to put on the liquid gasket from honda, however i have never done it and have never leaked, and even runnin 16psi on the thing. So it's not crucial, but if ya got the stuff, and don't plan on taking it off, it definitely couldn't hurt to follow the book.

jerzysfinezt

Reaction score
Hey guys im new to this forum and i've been watching this as i will be changing my VC gasket this weekend. My car has a 147,000 on it so i am going to get spark plug seals just in case, but do i have to silicone them also if i have to install new ones?

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
^ you only silicone the 4 flat corners of the gasket..and the Gasket kit comes with all the seals you need thats on the Valve cover for the same price..25$ i think or cheaper..Im doing mine again this weekend also..I tore my spark plug seal last time i did it..
:ugh:

finch13

Reaction score
If the plug tube seals aren't leaking into the tube, don't replace them. Its extremely easy to **** them up and they're a pain to get out most of the time. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

jerzysfinezt

Reaction score
haha alright, i knew i needed to silicone the gasket i was just wondering if i had to silicone the spark plug seals too if i needed to replace them

Back