Removing chrome window trim

Crimzon

Reaction score
Anyone know how to remove the chrome window trim? I can't figure it out. I plan on painting it black or replacing it with black trim from a DX if I can find it.

I've heard of using black tape but I don't like the sound of that... Seams in the tape, possibility of bubbling and peeling off, etc.

And as for painting, any tips? I had a bad experience painting my chrome emblems black. Even after lots of sanding and 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint, adhesion was horrible and it's already chipping. I've read on other forums people using a product called plasti-dip, any luck with that?

AccordSeats4

Reaction score
The black out tape works pretty good. I used it on my car and no bubbles. I picked it up at Pep boys. Not sure if there is a Pep boys in your area, but if so. I would give it a try.

BlackieCG6

Reaction score
I used the black tape called trim bite it works well if u do it right. U can pull of the top window trim that is attached to the car because its just clips holding it in place, but not the trim on the door. Someone suggested to try and get car paint, and paint because regular spray paint would look dull after getting hit by the sun

emii

Reaction score
i used plasti dip on my emblems and its pretty good. although ill admit i rushed it, but theres a DIY on driveaccord.com on how to plasti dip the trim. i plan on doing it to mine

edit: the guy didnt take the trim off either, he just newspapered it really thoroughly, cleaned the trim with rubbing alcohol, sprayed, and voila.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
The molding on the door comes off..along with the roof one..But not the one around the quarter glass(coupe).

Just tape everything up.sand it with the red scotch brite pad and spray it with trim black.It matches factory matte black finishes.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
The originally chrome window trim is a pesky part, because it's disposable. Once you put it on, you can't take it off without breaking or bending it or the clips its mounted on. If you pull it off, just buy a new piece to replace it because it will be impossible to mount it back on properly afterward if it's been used.

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
anyone have a pic of the final product? and no one commented on the seams from the tape....can't you see them?

Back