Steering Wheel Swap....Success?

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
*UPDATE PAGE 4*

So I got a real good deal on a 6th gen EX-L leather steering wheel in excellent shape to replace my thin stock rubbery **** one... The swap went well and smooth following filtsai's guide and using a steering wheel puller from Advanced Auto. Yet when I began driving the car after the swap I noticed immediately that the steering wheel's alignment didn't stay at the same angle as I turned the wheel around. Then I noticed this...

dom5x5.jpg

See that gap? I'm pretty sure that's not normal right? It took some umph to get the stock wheel off with the puller and it seemed like this one pushed right in :thinking: The wheel itself doesn't look or appear to be bent so I'm confused..

stock
picture2000821.jpg

nothing
picture2000831.jpg

leather
picture2000841.jpg

Last edited:

Accord_J30A

Reaction score
Im no expert on steering wheel swap but did you mark the shaft when you took your steering wheel off??

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
which shaft? I locked my old wheel before I removed it as straight as I could then I installed the new wheel in the same spot, the column was still locked

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
if the wheels not bent, its definitely not on straight.

either way, needs to come off again...

Accord_J30A

Reaction score
which shaft? I locked my old wheel before I removed it as straight as I could then I installed the new wheel in the same spot, the column was still locked

Marking the shaft would allow you to know where you can place the top of the steering wheel when you put the new steering wheel on. Did you also make sure that your wheels were straight before taking off your steering wheel?

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
The alignment of my steering is fine. the car drives straight and the wheel is where it should be when driving straight.. its the angle of the circle part of the steering wheel

turbo_911

Reaction score
It could be. From the looks in that pictures, but I dont think it could be bent that easily.

It actually could be, the center plate where the steering rod is attached could be slanted even a bit and could cause what you see on the picture. Or I might be wrong, but that's the only option that I can think of.

Btw I have a spare leather steering wheel from my coupe if anyone wants it, in really good condition too.

Back