All NEW LED KITS!

chrisj93

Reaction score
photo1_zps1f6af089.jpg

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Well, these should be between halogens and HIDs in output. Anything brighter than HIRs in stock reflectors is just creating glare anyway.

these kits are like $120 right now...with $29.99 HID kits out there, these have a ways to come down.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
You have to remember that the audis and acuras have specially designed headlight housings that house 4 or more of these in one headlight, with proper cut offs and design for optimal light dispersement, and are not just shoved in a normal headlight reflector bowl.

Like Ryan said, you're getting something that's four times as much for less output :p

chrisj93

Reaction score

Chris Vu

Reaction score
I completely understand what you're saying. And I understand the rationality of the phrase "Don't knock it til you've tried it" but I'm not going to spend that kind of money just to find out that 2000 lumens is not as bright as 3000 lumens .. besides, they don't have D2S sized bulbs :p

MY OPINION is I cannot justify spending $120 on something with 2000 lumens output when I can spend $30 and get something with 3000 lumens output. Especially when it takes at least 4 in each headlight for newer cars for them to look the way they do. $240 is not something I want to spend on something like that PER HEADLIGHT.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
as of right now, im going to wait a little while on LED kits (and i received said $30 HID kit last night...for my '11 coupe so it has projectors already and should be just a temporary solution).

that little black bump on the back of the bulb is a cooling fan for when the bulb gets hot. what happens if it fails? you're in the same situation as a cheap HID kit when a bulb fails. those silver streaks behind the LED itself are also cooling fins.

protip: i'd wager money the majority of the internals of these LED kits are made by the same build houses in china as the HID kits. the casing of the ballast is identical--minus the top cover--as my DDM kit.

TLS-SB-LEDKIT-2.jpg

from what ive seen of the MDX headlights, im not impressed. average output (driving next to one about a month ago) and the lights look pink when oncoming (saw one friday). HID kits were $400-600 when they came out, so lets see how far LED kits come in the next year or two with regards to price and quality.

this isnt a rant against the OP, only stating my opinion.

Gman86

Reaction score
that little black bump on the back of the bulb is a cooling fan for when the bulb gets hot. what happens if it fails? you're in the same situation as a cheap HID kit when a bulb fails. those silver streaks behind the LED itself are also cooling fins.

This drives me crazy...leds are supposed to be more efficient/functional/"green" (energy saving) than their counterparts with that said i bet these things have a drastic draw on the charging system if whats said above is correct.

Our Gov't was implenting LED headlights in the combat zone by early 2007 they were effective as i personally drove an ASV equipped with them on low light missons on a daily basis. Its about time we start to see it in the civilian sector.

I am intrested tho in the idea of the kit...just wished it be more "green" as leds are supposed to be.

Last edited:

Anth

Reaction score
I might actually try this this summer and see how it is compared to my Halogen bulbs.

Back