Weird tranny issue!

valpo500

Reaction score
Hi guys. I little long history but its making me nuts. I bought my car six months ago, had to put some money on it to bring it up again but its worth it. I've been a Honda enthusiast since 16, had a couple of B18 civics and know I'm a proud 6th gen owner.

The car is 1999 EX V6 coupe. Now the bad part. NEED HELP from you experts!!

Two big questions:

I just discovered that the previous owner of my car intalled a 4cyl cluster that is giving me some tranny issues (mechanic's theory) so I most changed it before warranty ends.

Locally (I`m in central america) I found a V6 cluster from a 2000 4door sedan accord. Will this work in my 1999 coupe? I know it has 2 extra lights for rear door ajar, but the rest is the same???

Tranny was rebuilt 2 months ago, now I'm having problemas again with a hard gear change (like a huge jump that sounds cracky) between 2nd, 3rd and 4th as the tranny is taking longer than usual to make the gear changes through all gears. If you take the car into second gear, with mid gas... the engine will stall the rpms for a few seconds and then gives a hard 3rd. This happens ones in a while, like 2 or 3 times in a 10 mile commute.

The 4cyl cluster is misreading the engine's rpm, because when the engine is at 650, it marks 1100rpm, when the engine hits vtec at 3.800rpm (checked with external rpm reader) the cluster reads almost 6.000... and keeps going up to around 10k rpm in the cluster... mechanic said this was the reason for the tranny failure due to tranny computer misreadings between rpm and speed. I don't share this theory, but I need to prove it. Anyone has an idea of whats wrong? I bought the main rebuilt kit for the tranny with hard parts all everything for the rebuild.

I'll sincerely apreciate any comment that could help me against the shop? I need my car running, I paid almost $1200 for the rebuild 2 months ago.

Jecht

Reaction score
Hi guys. I little long history but its making me nuts. I bought my car six months ago, had to put some money on it to bring it up again but its worth it. I've been a Honda enthusiast since 16, had a couple of B18 civics and know I'm a proud 6th gen owner.

The car is 1999 EX V6 coupe. Now the bad part. NEED HELP from you experts!!

Two big questions:

I just discovered that the previous owner of my car intalled a 4cyl cluster that is giving me some tranny issues (mechanic's theory) so I most changed it before warranty ends.

Locally (I`m in central america) I found a V6 cluster from a 2000 4door sedan accord. Will this work in my 1999 coupe? I know it has 2 extra lights for rear door ajar, but the rest is the same???

Tranny was rebuilt 2 months ago, now I'm having problemas again with a hard gear change (like a huge jump that sounds cracky) between 2nd, 3rd and 4th as the tranny is taking longer than usual to make the gear changes through all gears. If you take the car into second gear, with mid gas... the engine will stall the rpms for a few seconds and then gives a hard 3rd. This happens ones in a while, like 2 or 3 times in a 10 mile commute.

The 4cyl cluster is misreading the engine's rpm, because when the engine is at 650, it marks 1100rpm, when the engine hits vtec at 3.800rpm (checked with external rpm reader) the cluster reads almost 6.000... and keeps going up to around 10k rpm in the cluster... mechanic said this was the reason for the tranny failure due to tranny computer misreadings between rpm and speed. I don't share this theory, but I need to prove it. Anyone has an idea of whats wrong? I bought the main rebuilt kit for the tranny with hard parts all everything for the rebuild.

I'll sincerely apreciate any comment that could help me against the shop? I need my car running, I paid almost $1200 for the rebuild 2 months ago.

can not see how the cluster can mess with the tranny. As the ECU gets it rpm readings from the engine and not the guage cluster. Sounds like you got a bad tranny rebuild and the shop is trying to blame the poor work on a guage cluster. Look at it this way with cars that dont have an rpm guage on the dash cluster. Where do you think the computer gets it RPM readings from?

As far as the guage cluster goes the Coupe and Sedan uses the same cluster. I have a coupe and if you look at it when the sun hits it you see 4 doors on the display. So the cluster shouldf work on your car.

inv4zn

Reaction score
Hey, welcome.

Yeah, as Jecht said, sounds like a shady shop trying to screw you.

Clusters should be interchangeable, but all it does is display information sent from the ECU to you visually...it doesn't send information back, so I don't think it'll affect your tranny.

Try and hassle the guy into rebuilding it again, properly this time. Although 1200 seems pretty cheap...most shops quoted me 2500 canadian up here =/

But good luck

valpo500

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers, I'll stay optimist with this guy (shop) the most I can, crossed -fingers hoping he will take responsability. In my country warranties are a big piece of sh... abandonned by law.

I follow you're advise and bought the 4d cluster. Will pick up tomorrow hopefuly.
In matters of the tranny, I'm having a little trouble reading the ATF level.

Which will be the correct procedure for doing this? some guys tell me engine ON, others say engine OFF, both stated tranny fluid most be warm. Thanks again, finding this site its changing my life, I love forums and now I found one for my car! wuju!!! :rofl::jealousbow:

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
with hondas you read the ATF with the engine off after driving for at least 15 min

are you sure about that? i know for engine oil the car should be off but warm i believe. but im pretty sure for tranny oil the car should be running. that's how i've been checking mine.

Back