2000 v6 chokes when starting in park

ryandude

Reaction score
Alright. So when my car is parked and turned off for about 15 mins. I turn the ignition to start it up. Then it starts but it chokes and stalls. What I end up doing is starting it in neutral. It still stalls in neutral but I rev it to like 3k rpm and then I quickly put it in drive and take off. After that the car struggles while I am drivig for like a min but will not stall.

What do you think is wrong?

NokBlue

Reaction score
This is a common problem with V6s. It's your main relay. Replace it and you should be fine. It's under the dash on the left side of the steering column.

NokBlue

Reaction score
Not too hard it's just a relay. It's buried up in the dash next to the steering column.
Main relay part# 39400-S84-003 Majestic Honda has it for $43.80

ryandude

Reaction score
Thanks you everyone for your help. So the problem turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator and not the main relay. Not so happy with this cause it was VERY expensive to repair. However it did fix my starting problem. And my car now starts like brand new without any struggle and is very responsive now.

intel0116

Reaction score
Thanks you everyone for your help. So the problem turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator and not the main relay. Not so happy with this cause it was VERY expensive to repair. However it did fix my starting problem. And my car now starts like brand new without any struggle and is very responsive now.

hmmm very intresting, i had this same exact issue about a year ago, i fixed it by spraying TB cleaner in the vacume hose and TB it self, took 2 cans to completly fix but it did the trick and hasent happend since ( knock on wood) .......................

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Main relay failure results in the car not even starting, because a bad relay prevents the fuel pump from engaging. And it’s usually only a problem in hot weather. When my main relay went bad, I use to have to open my doors and let the interior cool down before the car would start. And it always did. The first gen relays had weak solder points that would crack in high heat.

If the car starts, even if for a second, the fuel pump received the signal from the main relay. So at that point the problem becomes fuel related. Hence his FPR. Which I agree is rare.

10secvtec

Reaction score
happen to me and it would turn off while i was driving whoa it was totally dangerous but then it wouldnet turn on and it was the main relay

Back