OBD1 swap is throwing code 4

Snoobly

Reaction score
Just got the rebuilt motor back in. she runs great except that she's throwing code 4 (ckp problems) and won't go over 3500 rpm. fuel cuts at that point. below that she runs great and pulls nice. Does anyone have any experience with this code? I thought maybe I screwed the timing up by a tooth on the cam gear, so i went and adjusted it a tooth, still throws the code though. Advice anyone? pretty damn lost right now.:thinking::thinking::fish_h4h:

greekpizza

Reaction score
Hmm interesting mine threw this code as well but allowed me to rev through the range. I tried swapping it and i think the code just came back up. I think i narrowed it down to an issue with the cam sensor in the distributor. did you have the car tuned? If your using the oem distributor on obd1 ecu youll have to tune the timing with the ecu. As far as your timing. I would triple check all your timing marks as well.

Snoobly

Reaction score
Hmm interesting mine threw this code as well but allowed me to rev through the range. I tried swapping it and i think the code just came back up. I think i narrowed it down to an issue with the cam sensor in the distributor. did you have the car tuned? If your using the oem distributor on obd1 ecu youll have to tune the timing with the ecu. As far as your timing. I would triple check all your timing marks as well.

car was dynotuned back when i first put the turbo in. The timing is tuned with the ECU already. Yeah, It ran fine before the engine rebuild with that code popping up every now and then. I tried all 4 of the distributors that i have laying around and none of them fixed the problem. I'll give the timing marks a quadruple check next time im out there.

Back