how do i adjust the idle

white beauty

Reaction score
alright, ive made a few threads on here about how my cars steering wheel shakes ridiculously in the morning when its cold and only when its cold. I recently asked someone about it and they said my idle could be high, i checked it today and when my car is first started in the morning it idles at 1200, is that high? If it is how can I adjust it, thanks. This is my last option, i really dont know what else could be wrong, motor mounts are all brand new and just had a full diagnostic check on my car and everything is running perfectly, I dont know why the steering wheel shakes so much in the morning.

nexTOme

Reaction score
at cold start, that sounds about right....

mines about that high...and it drops down to 700-900 range once engine is warmed up.

I4 CG5

Reaction score
That's about what mine idles at when cold, if not a little higher. According to my Haynes manual, when the engine is warm it should idle at 650-740 rpm (for 4cyl) and 630-730 rpm (for 6cyl). Is it higher or lower than these?

white beauty

Reaction score
^^ yea when its warm it idles around 700-720. Since my idle in the morning is apparently normal, one question, do your guys steering wheels shake alot, and i mean alot, in the morning?

nexTOme

Reaction score
steering wheel shaking, like when car is stopped? no not at all....

maybe it could be your motor mount? i dont know....just throwing some ideas....

Lee49645

Reaction score
mine shakes pretty bad when i brake from like 70 - 50 and thats only when i brake lightly, say if a car isnt going as fast as me on the freeway. but when i brake hard it never shakes no matter how fast im going. and i drive a stock accord

I4 CG5

Reaction score
one question, do your guys steering wheels shake alot, and i mean alot, in the morning?

My steering wheel never shakes. And your's only shakes when the engine is cold? Faulty motor mount perhaps (since they are new)? Maybe a sensor or something?

Lee, your rotor(s) might be warped.

white beauty

Reaction score
yeah, it only shakes when the engine is cold, its gotten to the point where before i drive anywhere in the morning, i let it warm up completely, because i truly cant hold on to the steering wheel in the morning, I4 CG5 by sensor do u mean O2 sensor, could a bad O2 sensor make it shake like that?

i7believe

Reaction score
^^ yea when its warm it idles around 700-720. Since my idle in the morning is apparently normal, one question, do your guys steering wheels shake alot, and i mean alot, in the morning?

When I do coldstart, my RPM is about 1200 and then it goes down to about 700 when engine gets warm. I have a slight vibration or tingling sensation on my steering wheel when it is in idel however it is not that excessive. I only feel it when I touch the steering wheel. It used to be bad until I replaced my broken front engine mount. I am not sure what it could be for your case since you have new motor mounts.
Could sensor give that much vibration in idle??

i7believe

Reaction score
mine shakes pretty bad when i brake from like 70 - 50 and thats only when i brake lightly, say if a car isnt going as fast as me on the freeway. but when i brake hard it never shakes no matter how fast im going. and i drive a stock accord

You need to either replace or resurface the rotors.

Back