F23a1block F22a6 head

timoteo

Reaction score
So I was just kind of curious about a build like this and I havent found anything good searching around. Has anybody on this site done a build like this and if so what did you do and were you happy with the results. I like the sound of the f23 motor over the h22 (although vtec is a great sound) and I know that the f22a6 head is suppose to be one of the best flowing heads around. I would like to hear some build designs that have been done for N/A setups and turbo setups like this.

Jarrett

Reaction score
In stock form the F22A6 (PT3) head is slightly below the F23A1 in terms of flow. The weak point of the stock PT3 head is the exhaust ports. They can usually be hogged out pretty wild before you get past the point of diminishing returns. As the owner of way too many CB7s, I'm quite a fan of the PT3 head. My recommendation for that head would be to port the exhaust openings to match the diameter of an aftermarket header, staying off the port floor. This, paired with a bump in compression from either milling the head .030" or from K20A2 pistons would really wake the F23 up.

Your issues with this setup would lie in sensors and tuning. You would need to run either an F22A6 or H23A1 intake manifold lower runner. You would then have to pair this with a plenum from an automatic F20B or H23A VTEC (I'll be selling one shortly). This is necessary to run your stock 3-wire IACV. The IAT sensor is different, but that's nothing a simple clip and resolder couldn't fix. They read the same values. You could reuse your OEM distributor and camshaft gear. Then you have to find an ECU to run the thing. Either full stand alone or a jumper to run an OBD1 ECU, with all of the other hassles that brings.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Good question, I've often wondered this as well.. That's how the 5thgens get so much power, due to their higher-flowing heads. I'd love to see something like this actually done! I can't imagine it would be too too hard if you know what you're in for anyways upon your decision to do it.

timoteo

Reaction score
the f22a6 would still have more potential though at from what ive read and if you are going to spend the money on port and polish then getting the f22a6 head would only make sense. getting an intake manifold would be very easy and cheap too. a standalone would also be necessary for the f23 to build anything notable as well. Do you know what kind of power these things mkae. Ive always wanted to get a cb7 and build one of these

Jarrett

Reaction score
jdm92accorn on CB7Tuner.com had one higher than 240whp with stock F23A pistons. It used a Skunk@ intake manifold with adapter, RDX injectors, Delta camshaft and Bisimoto header with a custom tune. It was a Dynojet dyno, so those aren't realistic numbers, but the thing ran like a bat out of hell. It had plenty of other things done to it as well, but essentially it was something anyone could build.

A mildly assembled version of this with a stock camshaft might be able to see 160whp with a tune. Use a Delta 260 or 272 along with a bump in compression and those numbers go up.

timoteo

Reaction score
damn thats not bad. do you have a link so i can see what that guys build was?

Back