Removing Center Console

ShutOutTheSky

Reaction score
I typed this once already and accidentally deleted it. =[
Boredom between classes led me to this. I'm going to paint this ugly thing later. Here's how it's done.

Removing the Center Console:

This is what I'm referring to as the center console.
IMG00140.jpg

Step 1:
Remove the trim around the gearshift. This thing's just held in with 4 plastic tabs. I was able to pull it up with my fingernails. (Sadly, I'm not sure how this translate for manual transmission Accords.)
IMG00142.jpg

Loose.
IMG00143.jpg

Off.
IMG00144.jpg

Step 2:
Start lifting the front portion of the fake wood. Use anything you can create leverage with. I used a screwdriver. This is also held in with plastic tabs. You'll see them upon extracting it.
Front left.
IMG00146.jpg

Front right.
IMG00147.jpg

By now, you should be able to get under this with your hand.
IMG00148.jpg

Lower right. You should be able to get at this one with your hand.
IMG00151.jpg

Sliding your hand down the drivers side edge of the plastic, pull up on it to free it.
IMG00149.jpg

Step 3:
In order to free the lower portion, slip a finger into the gap for the e-brake. Lift at the lower end of the gap.
IMG00141.jpg

Open the cupholder and slide your hand into the gap between the surface and the lid and lift up.
IMG00150.jpg

Loosening the lower right end of the console involves some extra work from either the gap between the cupholder or from the lower right end of the gap around the gearshift.

Step 4:
After everything is loose you should be able to pull it straight up. Humorously enough, the piece wont come entirely free unless you pull the e-brake. You'll understand when you reach this point.
IMG00152.jpg

Removed.
IMG00153.jpg

Paint coming later.
IMG00154.jpg

Hope that works for everyone! =]

On that note, what color should I paint this uggo? I'm thinking of either painting it to match the body color... otherwise black or gunmetal. Due to the slick surface, am i going to have to prep this thing in any way for primer to stick to it? Help me out.

Last edited:

SpEeD LuNaTiKz

Reaction score
Do some suede on that thing lol thats what I did on mine turned out really well and it only take like 20min and looks good I'll try and get a pic of mine gonna do a few more parts in suede this weekend, Or I would say do gloss black paint I'm planning on doing it on some other parts, just sucff it up some or go over it will some finer grit sand paper and then primer and paint good luck man

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
thanx for the pix bro... prob will be useful for ppl who needs pix to refer to ;)

ShutOutTheSky

Reaction score
i painted mine semi-glossy black last night, thanks for the pics :icon_gay:

any pics? they'd be helpful to me & i'd like to see how it turned out...
also, what kinda prep work did you do prior to painting? cleaning/sanding/primer? did you just use paint from a spray can? any clear coat?
thanks

Back