55w HID kit worth it?

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Just finished up adjusting my Morimoto H1 Retrofit,and im not 100% satisfied with the output-But im thinking its my 35w hid ballasts and cheap 6k ebay h1 bulbs..
Looking online at 55w kits for 51.99$..Will it make any difference or no? Most likely get the 4300k,But possibly 6k for that hint of blue I like.

sorry if this has been covered before But im sure not with a proper retrofitted headlight.

Ofnir107

Reaction score
I've read (forgot where) that the MH1 are designed to take the 55W but it's not suggested. You might want to try emailing Matt at the TRS to get a sure answer.

I was considering getting Morimoto 5Five ballasts but I read on HIDPlanet that the 55W ballasts would melt the shrouds and possibly damage the projector, depending on which generation of the projectors you bought. IMO, I don't think it would be a good idea to run DDM 55W ballasts on these projectors. I'll see if I can find the thread where they were discussing how either the DDM ballasts or bulbs were generating too much heat.

Edit: I found this thread with a quick search. This guy was running a 35W DDM slim ballast. Not the same, but I think you get the idea. Of course, I'm not saying don't get the DDM ballasts. I just want to make sure you do your research and get the right stuff so that you won't have to go the hassle of redoing your retro. HIDP is great place if you want to look into more the stuff.

Last edited:

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on what version of the Mini H1 shroud you have. If you have the 1st or 2nd version, I would not recommend it.

This is what happened to both my 2nd version shroud. I'm using 35watt Morimoto bulbs. But a simple phone call to Matt @ TRS and he sent me the new version free of charge.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showpost.php?p=701360&postcount=996

This is what others encountered as well.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/sho...2-v3-older-e46r-shroud)&highlight=mini+deform

The main problem was the shroud itself. Not the bulb or the ballast/wattage people were using.

People blamed the defect to DDM bulb and ballast but after extensive HID bulb temperature test done by a member at HID Planet, the result showed that DDM stuff was actually one of the ones that created less heat.

results:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tHKACiL1K31EmNUq86WGIAA&authkey=CJmVj6wH&hl=en#gid=0

Matt says that the new shrouds are okay to use with 55watt but recommends using 35watt.

swift07

Reaction score
I asked matt a while back and he said the gatling gun shrouds with screw holes should be fine with 55 watt. If you go 55 I would suggest getting morimoto bulbs since they seem to run cooler than the ddm bulbs

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
I dont know what version i have..I have the mini Gatlyn gun(sp?) that has 3 clips that clip onto the projector.
no melting or deforming as of yet using my current setup..I guess ill wait and see..and read somemore.

99accord boi

Reaction score
go for either 55 watt 6k or 8k
the colors are practically the same because once get 55w the color washes out i have 8 k and it has the slightest tint of blue
basically 35w 6k is the same color as a 55w 8k

Back