DIY: Using OEM Fog Switch with Civic Harness and Foglights

arise257

Reaction score
Exactly... so why would Honda make it so that fogs turn off with high beams, or don't turn on unless low-beams are turned on? :thinking:

Aight I got it figured out.

Let's say you're on high-beams going down a dark road and you come up on a patch of fog. You won't want your high-beams to stay on because the fog will reflect too much light in the center of your field of vision. Thus, the HBs go off when the fogs go on.

Now let's say you're on low-beams going down a dark road and you come up on a patch of fog. LBs already point more to the ground than up so the amount of light reflected into the center of your field of vision is much less disruptive. When you throw on the fogs, they point exclusively to the ground in front of your car and they're usually amber colored, which doesn't reflect the white of snow as badly. That's why they stay on, because you get mid-level illumination and ground-level visibility so you can see the road markings.

So with all of this, I can see why people put on a separate switch rather than integrating it with high-beams now.

lenchnikin

Reaction score
DIY Using OEM Fog Switch with Civic Harness and Foglights

Do you think my problem might have something to do with a difference between running the code as a task and running the code, line-by-line, in the nnCron console?

In the console it works, as expected, but when it runs as a task, the stated problem occurs...

Jordan

kn0x47

Reaction score
im having that same problem, my civic switch colors are ( top to bottom) black, red, yellow, red, so how do i match it up to the accord switch?

mine are the same way. i think i've figured it out. ...the yellow goes to orange, the top red goes to red and the other red goes to black/red. i havent actually tried it yet sense i'm still trying to get my wiring correct for actually turning the fog lights on...( my civic switch was shorted out to where the lights were on even with the car off)

BowserCG6

Reaction score
my ebay fogs have only 2 black wires and 2 red ones ... anyone figure how to work that out ?

ktown98

Reaction score
what up yall, just addin some input to help any future readers. i got my switch hooked up tonight and i did it right and slow with the heat shrink etc. the D sub connectors pictured in the first part of the DIY worked great. only difference with mine was that i hooked up the black on the top, the red right below that and then one of the yellows in the third slot. my bottom two slots hold the other two yellows (spliced one bc of directions)

my switch is functional in that it turns on and off the fogs. i have it hooked up into the lower left acc slot in the fuse box so they can be turned on as soon as the radio is on.

the only problem with the way i have it wired is that the bottom light on the switch is not functional. i dont know why this is. i tried tons of wiring combinations and this was the only way i was able to get the switch to function as an on/off switch for the fog lights themselves.

to me, the little fog picture on the switch not lighting up is not really a big deal so i like the way i have it!

great write up though!

twofast4u

Reaction score
So weird thing...my civic harness is like this

Black
Yellow
Blank
Red
Yellow

And my accord switch is

White with blue strip
Blue with red stripe
White with red stripe
Red with black stripe
Red

So i'm confused as to what wire goes where now :s

Nissan2anAccord

Reaction score
Well it was either the fog switch, or cruise switch on far left. In other words - the innermost slot should stay blank, or sunroof switch should be there, because that's what it is made for. The middle and left slots can be used for cruise/fog interchangeably.

i havent read through the intior thread but looking over it i can honestly tell yo that from the manufacturer the fog light switchis ment to be on far left (i have cruise button in middle position and sun roof control on far right positions, so far left is blank right now...)

sorry for threadjack->
anyway outside of HandA.com, are there cheaper reliable sites outside of ebay to get the fog light kit with all hardware??

Back