Painting my Accord (Updated 1/31/09) Balloon white

AccordFlex

Reaction score
Ok, so I work at a Honda body shop here in Baltimore and I can get a paint job for the low low ($250) any color/style paint that there is. I was debating on a bunch of colors like the dark metallic gray, black, some candy colors and white.

To keep things simple I chose white. But not just any white, I want to do a pearl white. This way the outside of the car looks hot and will be somewhat similar to the engine bay. Ill be cutting in all the door jambs and shiz as well, just no engine bay for now. Please take in mind, I do not want a creme colored white pearl like the classic Cadillac pearl white, I want a bright and vibrant pearl white (hard to do because pearl gives a smooth creme affect)

I had a mock door skin off of a damaged s2k painted a pearl white I chose off of the color swatches and it turned out pretty nice, just somewhat creme colored when there is no sunlight, but when the light hits it, its simply amazing looking. Ill try and post pics of it asap.

Im also really digging the Lexus Starfire Pearl white. This the stock white for many Lexus' including the IS-F...

ings%20is350%20side.jpg

Last edited:

ABONACCORD

Banned
Reaction score
Re: Need opinions on white paint

looks tight i love the way the white lexus's shine its awesome.

SykVSyx

Reaction score

We were just talking about changing body colours.

If white is your choice, I would say go with the Lexus IS white as well. Good choice.

Anyway you can get that paint deal as a GB? :deal:

More importantly, what exactly will they be doing in terms of prep/paint/clear for such a good deal?

finch13

Reaction score

If he works at a body shop he's probably calling in a favor or doing the work himself.

I agree, Lexus white is nice... or Honda Champion White :D

LX_F23A1

Reaction score

how about the pearly white color on the TSX?

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score

The two brightest, yet pearly whites you'll ever find are Lamborghini's Balloon White and Aston Martin's Morning Frost White. Both are 3-stage paints, but then again so is Lexus' Starfire Pearl that you're interested in.

Now, about your $250 hookup paintjob...I hope you don't have high standards. Even if you owned your own body shop and did all of the labor yourself, the price of DECENT materials is easily $800. So good luck with that.

Mr.Hollow

Reaction score

dang thats a great price (wish i worked at a bodyshop) but yeah good choice in color

AccordFlex

Reaction score

We were just talking about changing body colours.

If white is your choice, I would say go with the Lexus IS white as well. Good choice.

Anyway you can get that paint deal as a GB? :deal:

More importantly, what exactly will they be doing in terms of prep/paint/clear for such a good deal?

I would love to hook everyone up on a GB with the paint, but we actually mix all of our paints in house. It doesnt come premixed. We have a specialized mixing machine that tells you by weight how much of each color goes into the mixture to get the the almost exact color.

Prep wise, I will be block sanding each door to pull out any small ripples and door dings. I will be fixing all of the minor dings on my car as well. Luckily, there are no huge dents on the car, just normal wear and tear for a 220k car. And the color will most likely be a 3 stage paint job which is usually 3 sealer coats, then 5-7 coats of the base coat, then probably 3 coats of clear.

If he works at a body shop he's probably calling in a favor or doing the work himself.

I agree, Lexus white is nice... or Honda Champion White :D

Yes sir. The painters at work are real cool guys and giving me a real hookup to actually paint it. One of the body shop estimators will be helping me with the dings and paint prep. Guy named Matt Pratt is actually going to be painting the car. His EK was recent featured on a recent Honda Tuning mag. Heres a link to his car that he painted...

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/features/htup_0904_2000_honda_civic_cx_matt_pratt/index.html

how about the pearly white color on the TSX?

I was actually thinking about that too on the way home from work today and saw one. I like the color, but its still a bit too creme for me.

The two brightest, yet pearly whites you'll ever find are Lamborghini's Balloon White and Aston Martin's Morning Frost White. Both are 3-stage paints, but then again so is Lexus' Starfire Pearl that you're interested in.

Now, about your $250 hookup paintjob...I hope you don't have high standards. Even if you owned your own body shop and did all of the labor yourself, the price of DECENT materials is easily $800. So good luck with that.

Wow that Balloon White pretty much has me sold. I will definitely be respraying that door skin I have that color. After looking at it, I dont like the color when there is no light on it.

As far as my hookup paint goes... I work at a Honda Body shop and for any employee that works for us simply has to pay $200 in materials. This includes anything needed for body work and paint. My work is really cool towards their employees and even though materials are way more then the price they charge us, its still only 200 flat rate. You just need to work something out with one of the painters to get it done. We use all top of the line materials too, including BASF Glasurit paint. We were recently recognized by Honda as one of the best Honda body shops on the east coast. We do so many hondas (and other cars) that we have a daily parts delivery at both our dealership and Body shop locations.

So trust me, this wont be some Maaco spray over the emblems gig.

arise257

Reaction score

Personally, I think it's a great color. It's really hard to find a car that won't work in white. I'd be interested to know what color/finish wheels you want to use with that. Will you tint your windows or leave them clear? All those things come into play when you pick a new color.

Back