2002 accord f23a4 to f23a engine swap help??

thats13guy

Reaction score
Usually i am a nissan guy but i thought i would make an attempt at a honda swap. Ok so my gf has a 2002 accord se automatic with the f23a4 ULEV engine. Engine and trans were going south so i purchased a f23a(jdm) low mileage engine online(i thought this would be the same. I used my stock ULEV intake and exhaust manifolds along with all of the original ULEV sensors and such to run the stock ecu. From what i have read people said you had to use your stock stuff when doing the f23a1 to f23a swap and that the f23a1 was basically the same as the f23a4 so this is why i used the stock stuff. The car will not start or change out of gear(park) after the swap. When we give it power from the key by turning the ignition it will read its in d4 for a second then the gear indicator lights go off. When i push the brake pedal down i dont even get the typical "click" you hear to pull it out of park. After touching screw drivers to the starter and bridging the two(to test the starter) we got it started, but it has a very sporadic idle(revs go up and down repeatably). Im very lost here on which ECU i should use(if that makes a difference) and how to fix these issues. The info on this swap seems to be non existent. Any help would be nice thanks.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
I could be wrong. I believe the "JDM" F23A needs its correct intake manifold and runs on the A1 ECU.

thats13guy

Reaction score
Thanks, I swapped the neutral safety switch from the a4 to the current motor I have in now and it cranked right up. The idle was revving up and down as if the idle air control valve was bad. I ran a diagnostic scanner on it and it threw three codes, 15 19 1162. The 15 and 19 were idle air control circuit failure and the 1162 said air fuel ratio? Would the air fuel ratio be an o2 sensor? I recently replaced the o2 on the exhaust manifold but there is also one on the cat converter.

thats13guy

Reaction score
Well you will need to use a few more things to get the swap 100%. From your old engine use the following:
-intake manifold with sensors
-exhaust manifold
-a/c bracket that bolts the compressor to the block(jdm one has 2 out of the 4 bolt holes that dont line up)
-stock neutral safety switch
-stock crank pulley as the jdm one has no power steering rib
-stock valve cover
you will probably need to have an OBDII code clearer present.
Everything works smoothly now except the transmission will not read 1st or 4th gear. I only have 2nd and 3rd. It is currently throwing codes P0700 trans control system code and P0758 shift solenoid b malfunction
I guess i will take the solenoids off and try to clean them to see if this helps.

Last edited:
Back