squeaking noise when turning the wheel (video)

Jimsun

Reaction score
2001 Honda Accord
4 dr ulev-vtec 4 cyl

Car started squeaking after not driving it for a couple days. I don't know exactly why but maybe the frigid temp(-40C/-40F) could be a possible suspect?

Before, at a stand still, i would turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, then all the way to the left 2x and the squeak will go away. However, it will come back the second the car is moving. Now it's just happening constantly.

Any ideas? From what i think, it could be that the tie rod boots or lower ball joint boots could use some grease. But im not sure how it would react with the temps here up north is always so cold (-20C to -30C or -4F to -22F)

Note that the noise is actually so much louder outside.

Is it still safe to drive or? I don't want to put myself and others at risk but i think that all it needs is some grease to keep it happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0lGQz_v5js

ChargerFan17

Reaction score
I had a noise coming from my rack and pinion similar to that but wasn't half as bad and didn't make noise all the way around. I took it to a shop and they said a bushing on the rack and pinion was too tight and loosened it for me and that stopped the problem. Because yours is so loud and happened when you always turn the wheel, its probably is more serious than that but just something to think about. I'm not a mechanic, just giving my opinion. :shrug:

Varnell

Reaction score
I had this for a while. I never pinpointed the exact problem, but it stopped after I did my 5-lug swap. I've been told it was the bushing.

Strange, though, mine would only do it on really hot summer days. I remember loving cold days since I wouldn't be embarrassed to park in a parking lot with my car sounding like a mating dinosaur or antique creaking door.

As for safety, I drove mine with that on and off sound for about a year and a half. lol

Edit: I was told the same thing about my rack and pinion. Changed it, and still had the sound. It's also worth noting that I had this sound before I did any kind of modifications to my car.

Last edited:

josh352

Reaction score
My car had a similar problem last year. It wasn't as loud as yours though. I fixed mine by replacing all ball joints and then greasing the tie rod ends.

Also, have you checked the power steering fluid? I don't think it would be this because of how loud it is but might as well check if you haven't.

I drove my car for a few months with it squeaking but then again mine didn't sound that bad.

todd_cards

Reaction score
mine is actually doing the same thing as we speak, mine just started as well about a week ago, but like you said where im at its in the negatives, which I wonder if its a factor, but mine is doing that to but no where near as loud as yours.
I think maybe the salt and the weather and maybe a little grease but its got me looking into upper ball joints now

todd_cards

Reaction score
I'm in Ohio and I hope that's all it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

SSMNVCG3

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have it too, just not that bad. started last month when it got around 0 for a bit.
I greased the tie rods some and that helped a little but only for a couple days so it must be something else as well.

todd_cards

Reaction score
So with that being said. The conclusion that it could be by the salts in Ohio. What's the next step. Let it go. Or grease it or what?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
That's a power steering problem, don't think grease would cut it.

Back