F20b Question

TrakeGZTC

Reaction score
I'm swapping the A/T F20b into my sedan, i was wondering if anyone has seen 300+ hp without boring & going for the 87mm H pistons? Taking all ideas, obviously will be boosting but want to keep it as reliable as possible.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I thought they had an 85mm bore?

You're at ~135hp stock, go for ~200hp to keep it halfway reliable.

For 300hp reliably you're looking at a fully built engine, and then what happens to your expensive engine when a random non-Honda, unknown durability, aftermarket part breaks?

Anything up to ~1.5x OEM hp can be half-way reliable. Anything over that is not reliable.

TrakeGZTC

Reaction score
I thought the automatic f20b made 180hp? I have no problem puttin it on the dyno after the swap is finished to be sure, but assuming it IS 180hp 300-325 would be a safe goal then, right?

Also, I've been researching and I'm thinking of going with steel BC valvetrain, forged H22 valves(will have head work done), & leaving the block untouched, maybe add a block guard but I'm undecided on cams at the moment but I have time, I don't plan on installing those parts until sometime around the fall, plenty time for more input!

Last edited:

Ty92x

Reaction score
You gotta consider also if the stock F20B autotrans can handle that amount of power you want to throw at it

TrakeGZTC

Reaction score
I should've mentioned that I'm swapping the f20 into a sedan that is already manual. My f23a4 just has too many issues to list so I jumped for a complete F20b a friend had for $200. I tore it down, Took it to a local machine shop to have the cylinder walls honed(will explain more in my members ride update), adding NPR rings, ACL race main & rod bearings, new water pump, timing belt, etc. to hold me over until I go turbo later in the year, I'm a boost noob though so advice on good brands/mods to reliably hit around 300 horses is definitely needed..

Also planning on doing a thread for rebuilding an f20b, I had to piece together info from like 3 sites(along with trial & error) to pull it off

Ty92x

Reaction score
I'd recommend forged internals also because you will probably have to have pretty high boost to achieve that hp goal... You will also have to drop compression quite a bit to achieve that high boost

Last edited:

TrakeGZTC

Reaction score
Ty, I'm with you on the forged internals but it's out of my budget right now, from my research most people that stay at the stock bore have been relatively safe at 10-20lbs

James, I'll be keeping the manual tranny.

I met a guy who's trying to sell me his BC stage 2 boost cams, 70mm skunk2 TB, golden eagle fuel rail & RDX injectors that are 410cc low & 710 high impedance for $500. Is that a good deal, & is that correct about the injectors? Sorry for the noob questions i just don't want to end up with a crappy deal.

Back