THE Clutch, Flywheel & Short Shifter Review Thread

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score

Please keep all posting that is not a review out of this thread.

Have an aftermarket short shifter, clutch or flywheel?? Tell us about it!!

Format:

Brand & model:
Price paid and from where:
Weight (Flywheel):
Throw Reduction(Short Shifter):
Pros:
Cons:
Final verdict:

Please keep all posting that is not a review out of this thread.

Last edited:

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Brand & model:Fidanza
Price paid and from where:$27.93-Ebay
Throw Reduction(Short Shifter):35%
Pros:I guess shorter shifts?
Cons:Had to drill the opening bigger, it hits and moves the console when shifting into Reverse or 5th.
Final verdict:
I didnt see any difference with it? but didnt complain for price i payed

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
Brand & model: PSpec Short Shift Kit
Price paid and from where: $200, bought off of henry
Pros: its adjustable for height and throw. shifts are much better and more precise
Cons: none so far
Final verdict: definite recommend if you dont get all butt hurt about shelling out the money.

iHazSnail

Reaction score
Short Shifter: PSpec
Price: $300 i think?
Pros: height adjustable and beautiful shifting.
Cons: none.
Verdict: Use it once, find the words how much YOU like it and tell me so i can fill this in.

Clutch & Flywheel: Clutch Masters StageII clutch and flywheel.
Price: don't remember.
Pros: quick power grip and smooth sailin all the way.
Cons: none.
Verdict: clutchmasters just got themselves another fan!

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
Brand & model: XTD Stage 1
Price paid and from where: 130 from Ebay
Pros: Great cheap clutch; no slipping
Cons: little bit of chatter
Final verdict: Great little clutch for a tight budhet

UPDATE: 03APR

still going strong

Last edited:

MikeyMike

Reaction score
Brand & model: Clutch Masters FX300 Stage 3 Clutch/Flywheel/Pressure Plate (V6 Swapped 6 Speed)
Price paid and from where: $1600 Clutchmasters.com (Was a test vehicle)
Weight (Flywheel): 15 lb Dual Mass (OEM = 32lb
Throw Reduction(Short Shifter): N/A
Pros: Stiffer clutch pedal, with a lot more resistance. No slipping while hard acceleration. "Banging" gears made easy. Clutch Grabs and goes!
Cons: None @ the Moment. Only con for me is that I was a test vehicle for the kit, so once it was approved, they developed a 6 puck and 4 puck kit :(
Final verdict: Awesome Product. Reliable, rated to hold 550+ HP before failing. Best upgrade I've put into the car.

0-95 pull

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Brand & model: Fidanza 3.2 Kevlar 4-puck clutch and Fidanza 8lb Aluminum/Steel Flywheel
Price paid and from where: ~$550 total, ordered separately from Never Enough Auto and Pro Street Online
Weight (Flywheel): 8 lbs.
Pros: Because it's 100% Kevlar it can withstand a ton a slipping/feathering and still grip and rip it when you decide to fully let the clutch out. No slipping whatsoever, can chirp 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd. Flywheel has replaceable steel friction disks so you only have to shell out $50 when the flywheel needs resurfacing.
Cons: Installation was a *****, but worth saving $500 or so.
Final verdict: Best upgrade you can do other than suspension.

~~ 7-17-09 (30k miles) UPDATE~~

The clutch throwout bearing is making noise when the clutch is engaged, at least that's my guess. The car makes a higher pitched tink/squeal when I drive, except when I have the clutch in. The clutch itself grips like when I first installed it 30k miles ago, no signs of slipping so far. The clutch makes a tad bit of "chirping" when starting from a stop once in a while, I can only assume that's just how the Kevlar slips once it's fully broken in. I love this clutch, if I ever need another I'll probably get another one. Perfect mix of grip/heat resistance/long life.

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Centerforce_DF188801.jpg

Brand & model: Centerforce DualFriction Clutch.

Price paid and from where: $250, eBay.

Pros: Supports 450+ HP (not sure of ft./lb. rating), which is more than our accords need. Slightly stiffer than the OEM clutch, but still has an OEM feel. Does NOT feel like OEM in terms of grip though - best launch is at 3k rpm. This clutch has a solid friction point and gives a great launch with no slippage. Unlike some clutches, this clutch is easy to control during stop & go situations, contrary to popular belief when it comes to performance clutches.

Cons: Not a mainstream brand for imports, not many people know it. Some people may think that this clutch is for amateurs, I assure you it's not.

Final verdict: A+. This is the first aftermarket clutch that I've had, but I absolutely love it. I had it installed at a shop, and the mechanic there has a turbo'ed M3 in which he has the same setup as I do, and loves it on the strip. Great launches and 'all grip, no slip'.

Last edited:

simon_y

Reaction score
Brand & model: Pspec Short shifter
Price paid and from where: $220 from TAS :omgbd:
Throw Reduction(Short Shifter): Totally adjustable, there is no set reduced throw. There is a limit of how much you can reduce though.
Pros: Adjustable height, and throw.
Cons: Alittle on the pricey side.
Final verdict: Well worth it if you care about the quality, a shifter is one thing you don't want snapping on you.

Brand & model: F1 Racing Stage 2 Clutch, Pressure Plate and Flywheel
Price paid and from where: $350 on ebay
Weight (Flywheel): 11Lb
Pros: Light weight flywheel helps with quick shifting and heel and toe throttle blips. Was on my f23 and transferred over to my H22 and it still held up.
Cons: Worked perfectly for the 1st year, 2nd year there's starting to be some slipping. No it's not my driving.:rolleyes:
Final verdict: Both great products, and great quality. You'll definitely notice a big difference whether its the short shifter or clutch and flywheel.

finch13

Reaction score
Brand & model: PSPEC Adjustable Height/Throw Shifter
Price paid and from where: $200 from TAS Auto
Throw Reduction(Short Shifter): Varies
Pros: Fully adjustable, great construction
Cons: It's so low my hand rubs on the e-brake shifting to 1st and 2nd!
Final verdict: Shifts better than the stock shifter, blows the adapters out of the water, best mod I've done to the car so far.

Back