Suspension question.

accordftw

Reaction score
I have a stupid question about suspension and i havent been able to find a clear answer. Now im looking into lowering my car and was just wondering what the difference was between coilovers and a shock and spring setup. Im just very confused about this. I thought that tokico blues were coilovers but i have been told they arent. If anybody could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Coilovers have rotating collars to adjust the height.

Coilovers are one piece, if you will, and shock/spring is two piece.

LeAccord

Reaction score
... Tokico blues are shocks that can be paired with springs in order to replace your stock spring/shock. They are not height/damper adjustable, just as your stock spring/shock set up isn't.
A spring/shock set up is however, often more softer/comfortable than a full coilover set up.

The rest is as mentioned by Sil2DrV6.

Springs & colilovers have different type of pros & cons.

Springs (Pros):
-Cheeper than coilovers
-Drop mesurements are permanent (no inspection needed for balancing the height)

(Cons):
-Will blow shock absorbers if dropped only with springs
-Can't raise the height (i.e. preping for winter time)
-----------
Coilovers (Pros):
-Can adjust your height in your preference
-Adjustable damping force (ride quality) if choosing the one that does

(Cons):
-More expensive than springs
-Ideally, it's necessary to inspect ride height & torque spec of every collars, once every 3~4 mon. (Not hassle free when compared with springs.)

Hope this helps, and gl with your choice!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You didn't search enough if you thought Blues were coilovers.

Coilovers are a “spring & shock in one”, are usually damper adjustable, and have many height settings. They also provide a firmer ride in general, which means better handling, but also means a harsher ride on bad roads. Shock/spring combos are bought separately (unless they come together in a kit), and assembled together to make up the suspension. There are basic shocks, shocks with damper adjustability, and shocks with both damper and height adjustability. But no shock will give you the height versatility that a coilover will, unless it is paired with a coilover sleeve instead of a spring.

Neither setup is really better than the other, it depends on your suspension needs and what you want to achieve relative to height and ride comfort. But never pair lowering springs with OEM shocks.

As for cost, all depends on the deals you find. But if you plan to buy everything brand new, coilovers usually come out a little cheaper.

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
Actually...Coilovers are simply a spring coiled over a shock/damper, hence their name. Our cars off the factory have a coil-over suspension setup. What a coilover is is a combined spring and shock absorber into one where the spring coils over the shock. If you add a spring over a shock you have resulted to a coil over setup.

The difference simply lays between "adjustable" dampers and non adjustable dampers(shocks)...resulting in being able to adjust the height on the go; versus using only a lowering spring and a non adjustable shock which is set to remain at a manufacturer set height not allowing you to adjust any further then it is set at.

Op, your choices are an adjustable coilover setup...ie. FF1/FF2/Tein Basic/Tein SS/KSport/JIC and/or Koni Yellows/Ground Control springs(which result in adjustability being added to a only 2/3 position adjustable shock.
or a non adjustable setup consisting of a shock/spring...ie. Tokico Blues and HR Sports, Tokico Illuminas and Neuspeed Springs etc

Coilovers have rotating collars to adjust the height.

Coilovers are one piece, if you will, and shock/spring is two piece.
NO

You didn't search enough if you thought Blues were coilovers.

Coilovers are a “spring & shock in one”, are usually damper adjustable, and have many height settings. They also provide a firmer ride in general, which means better handling, but also means a harsher ride on bad roads. Shock/spring combos are bought separately (unless they come together in a kit), and assembled together to make up the suspension. There are basic shocks, shocks with damper adjustability, and shocks with both damper and height adjustability. But no shock will give you the height versatility that a coilover will, unless it is paired with a coilover sleeve instead of a spring.

Neither setup is really better than the other, it depends on your suspension needs and what you want to achieve relative to height and ride comfort. But never pair lowering springs with OEM shocks.

As for cost, all depends on the deals you find. But if you plan to buy everything brand new, coilovers usually come out a little cheaper.
NO

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^dude....really? The OP has a limited knowledge of suspension, my explanation is a simple overview, dumbed down a bit in simplified terms. No misleading information was provided, except there are some coilover setups that are softer than some shock/spring combos. If you disagree, thats fine, but no need to pass off your opinion as absolute.

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
^dude....really? The OP has a limited knowledge of suspension, my explanation is a simple overview, dumbed down a bit in simplified terms. No misleading information was provided, except there are some coilover setups that are softer than some shock/spring combos. If you disagree, thats fine, but no need to pass off your opinion as absolute.

Our suspension is just that though...a coil-over system. & possibly the reason why OP might've thought that simply getting tokico blues would've been a coil-over as he'd be simply adding his coils(springs) over them. He wouldn't be the first nor the last thinking so either.

My comment above simply outlined the reality of things and further added on to what he should actually be on the lookout for with whatever product he buys. It was in no way a "stab" at you or cleansleeper.
After all we should be informing people of correct information? right?

Go!

Reaction score
Ot add on to this question, would any store do it for me? And who would do it cheapest?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Yes. There are specialty shops that will install it for you, or places like Tire Discounters have performance centers. I would look for a shop that specializes in it though, just google suspension shops in your area. Or there is a great DIY guide here on the site that would guide you through it, just take a day (or a couple days) with you and a buddy. If you decide to have a shop install it for you though, find a couple shops and get quotes from them. But be prepared to spend more than they quote because unexpected things happen...like seized strut bolts, etc.

Our suspension is just that though...a coil-over system. & possibly the reason why OP might've thought that simply getting tokico blues would've been a coil-over as he'd be simply adding his coils(springs) over them. He wouldn't be the first nor the last thinking so either.

My comment above simply outlined the reality of things and further added on to what he should actually be on the lookout for with whatever product he buys. It was in no way a "stab" at you or cleansleeper.
After all we should be informing people of correct information? right?

Right. But I wasn't about to refer to OEM suspension as coilovers, when no one ever refers to it as such that I've seen. Sorry, but that would have really caused more confusion even though that is the practical application that has been applied on these cars. But I suppose there is the off chance that that is what he thought. I just didn't appreciate the reply given that what I said is generally the perspective held by most. I see your intentions though.

Back to OT.

Last edited:
Back